Author Topic: Hi from Melbourne Australia( Down Under)  (Read 292 times)

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Hi from Melbourne Australia( Down Under)
on: June 27, 2020, 06:39:37 AM
Great to join a Forum so soon as this model has only been available in Australia for about 3 months. This is my 5th BMW. I started on a
F 800 ST. Followed by F 800 GT. Next 2 were  R 1200 RS. Both were great bikes. The F 900 XR  reminds me of the F 800 GT with all the
Bells and whistles that the R 1200 RS had. I have only traveled 1100 Kilometres .Just had my first service and looking forward to some
higher revs and seeing what this 900 is capable of. So far my first impressions are that I am selecting the same gears that I used on the
1200 RS but missing some of the top end that I had with the 1200 RS which is not at all surprising.( It has 300 less CC )
I am coping better with the Low Seat as I am only 5'5" but now I tend to rest my foot on the rear brake which is activating the stop light.
Hope this can be adjusted as it's annoying those who are following me.  :187: Otherwise I am looking forward to lots of rides and advice
From this Forum.
Cheers to all,.Stay upright. Leon   

Offline Mad Tenor

• XR Pro
Re: Hi from Melbourne Australia( Down Under)
Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 11:48:12 PM
Hi Leon and welcome! Glad you’re enjoying the bike! 👍 Once you can use the top 2-3 thou. revs, you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the extra “kick”.... the throttle is a bit different from the boxers in that it responds differently if you open it right up to the end-stop from the start...especially if you Have the “dynamic” mode option and the quick-shifter..... If you wind the throttle right to the end-stop in first and just hold it there while clutchlessly changing up just before the limiter kicks in, you’ll be in for some smiles...😉

Offline Ch

• XR Member
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 12:49:15 AM
If it is activating the light that means that you are braking. Bmw light it works with pressure and doesn't have a different switch.

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 08:35:49 AM
*Originally Posted by Ch [+]
If it is activating the light that means that you are braking. Bmw light it works with pressure and doesn't have a different switch.
That's a horrible design as it's impossible to lower the brake paddle without activating the Stop light.I had no trouble doing that with
all my other bikes. :151: :020:

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 08:49:41 AM
*Originally Posted by Mad Tenor [+]
Hi Leon and welcome! Glad you’re enjoying the bike! 👍 Once you can use the top 2-3 thou. revs, you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the extra “kick”.... the throttle is a bit different from the boxers in that it responds differently if you open it right up to the end-stop from the start...especially if you Have the “dynamic” mode option and the quick-shifter..... If you wind the throttle right to the end-stop in first and just hold it there while clutchlessly changing up just before the limiter kicks in, you’ll be in for some smiles...😉
I did not get a chance to really do much today as it was a foggy day but still nice to be out .The temperature hovered around the 4 deg so the full throttle idea will need to wait for a nicer day. :152: 

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 02:51:02 PM
Hi Tenor.
Your bike control must be so good.I am your height but not able to feel confident just on my toes.
I have had the pleasure of reaching that 8000 RPM and it's great. Looking forward to the next 10000 Kilometres.
Cheers Leon