Author Strange clutch issues  (Read 395 times)

• Offline gazuk   gb

• XR Member  ‐    28
    • Topic Author

Offline gazuk

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Strange clutch issues
    on: August 03, 2022, 04:19:39 pm
    August 03, 2022, 04:19:39 pm
    I've had this issue on my F900R since I got it earlier this year. I've tried to work out what causes it, but haven't managed to.  It only happens occassionally.

I know there has been a clicking clutch issue reported on here previously, but this is different.

So the issue:

Although I have gear shift assist, I do use the clutch a bit, especially when moving up from 1st gear to 3rd and generally when changing down.  But occassionally, when I engage the clutch, there is resistance and feels like the cable is stuck and it feels worryingly tight.  Initially I thought this may me caused by my foot resting on the gear lever and engaging the gear shigt assist mechanism, but I now make sure my foot is well clear.

When I say occassionally, this does happen many times on every ride, but is a smallish percentage of all clutch usage.

I will mention it to my dealer, but was wondering if anyone has experienced this.

I will continue to try and find  if there is a common factor in when it happens.  At the moment I think it may be happening more when changing down, but that could be because I use the clutch alot more when changing down.

• Offline figbat   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    66

Offline figbat

• XR Pro
    • Town / City: South Oxfordshire
    Re: Strange clutch issues
    Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 06:17:07 pm
    August 03, 2022, 06:17:07 pm
    Iíve had the same - the dealer looked at it and said itís down to the design of the release mechanism, which is shared with other bikes who report the same.

• Offline gazuk   gb

• XR Member  ‐    28
    • Topic Author

Offline gazuk

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 05:03:27 pm
    August 04, 2022, 05:03:27 pm
    Have you noticed any common situations when it happens or is it just random?

• Offline LP17   au

• XR Pro  ‐    341

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
    • Town / City: Melbourne
    Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 05:03:43 am
    August 05, 2022, 05:03:43 am
    I am having troubles understanding why would anyone have a need to use the clutch Downshifting. :084: :027:
    Accelerator off. Kick the gear Lever firmly and quickly. The engine revs adjust automatically and you're ready to do it all over again.
    I sometimes go down 2-3 gears at a time or should I say one after the other whilst braking for a slower corner. Works perfectly.
    I must admit going up from 1st to 2nd is much harder to do in traffic and takes lots of concentration. I do that very early, at low speed
    with very small amount of accelerator. All shifts have to be carried out quickly and firmly otherwise all you doing is disangaging the clutch.
    Hope this helps. :001:       

• Offline figbat   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    66

Offline figbat

• XR Pro
    • Town / City: South Oxfordshire
    Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 07:57:21 am
    August 05, 2022, 07:57:21 am
    How do you pull away from a standstill without using the clutch?!  :084:

• Offline gazuk   gb

• XR Member  ‐    28
    • Topic Author

Offline gazuk

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 11:28:30 am
    August 05, 2022, 11:28:30 am
    LP17, that does help, thanks

I have tried to do clutchless downshifts but they're mosyly clunky and when trying to downshift more than one gar, it just didn't seem to want to go.  The first downshift was ok but then there is lots of resistance for the second and if it did go in it was very clunky.  Given your experience, I will preservere.

• Offline rcb78   us

• XR Master  ‐    924

Offline rcb78

• XR Master
    Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 08:45:03 pm
    August 05, 2022, 08:45:03 pm
    Quickshifter or not?  With a quickshifter, downshifting is really nice, no idea how smooth it is on the base model.  It's worth noting that the quickshifter software has been updated a few times since release and the most current version is pretty good.
    Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 08:46:05 pm by rcb78

• Offline Chippy4467   gb

• XR Newbie  ‐    4

Offline Chippy4467

• XR Newbie
    • Town / City: Radstock UK
    Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 06:37:16 pm
    August 07, 2022, 06:37:16 pm
    noticed this "notchy" clutch on the demo bike I rode yesterday - thought it was a dodgy cable.  Hope mine doesn't suffer when I get it....................
    Dream big, get things done and change the world
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

I wouldnít have to manage my anger if other people manage their stupidity

• Offline patgm   us

• XR Pro  ‐    149

Offline patgm

• XR Pro
    Reply #8 on: August 07, 2022, 09:47:55 pm
    August 07, 2022, 09:47:55 pm
    For those just dealing with notchiness, one bit I found interesting in another thread was that when Jggpossum had the defective original clutch replaced on warranty, he was advised by the dealer service dept not to use the quick shifter for the first ~1,000km/600mi with the new clutch to allow the new plates and friction discs to bed in smoothly.  It makes some sense to me that the friction material could experience some uneven wear when you bang up and down with the quick shifter with a fresh clutch that is fully engaged. It would be interesting to see if quick-shifter equipped bikes report more clutch troubles than those without.

The other thing to look out for is that the clutch cable adjustment is more critical on this bike than any other I've dealt with, the clutch feel is much worse if lever play is less than spec. Mine needed a big adjustment around 2000 miles because there was almost no play left, even though it was in spec at the 600mi service. It seems like this clutch has a lot of break in wear, after that first adjustment the play has stayed consistent, indicating that the rate of wear has slowed. I'm now at 8500 miles.