Author Think I might have made a mistake here  (Read 972 times)

• Offline patgm   us

• XR Pro  ‐    143

Offline patgm

• XR Pro
    Re: Think I might have made a mistake here
    Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 07:15:53 pm
    June 21, 2022, 07:15:53 pm
    I've only ever seen the fork paint delamination complaint made by riders in cold wet climates, I think it stems from rain riding and/or winter riding on salted roads. To my surprise, BMW covered it fully under warranty according to the thread about it on the forum; It seems like most dealers/manufacturers would claim that was reasonable wear based on the use conditions and not covered under warranty. Fastener corrosion isn't an issue that I've seen anywhere on this bike, but I give the finish a lot of care after rain rides, and I have almost no salt exposure except for a bit of ocean mist from riding the pacific coast.

To my knowledge, no manufacturer makes a motorcycle that is as robust and weather-resistant as the average modern car. There are plenty of bikes that can survive abuse, but all of those survivors will still be marked by abuse if not given regular care and protection. Finish maintenance and protection is a big part of motorcycle ownership for me, even in a very mild climate, I assume it needs to be much more so in your area. I still find the fit and finish of the F900R/XR to be better than every competitor I've laid hands on except for some Triumph models.

In terms of shifting precision, I find it to be average, not extraordinary but definitely not less refined than the competition, again save for Triumph. I find my clutch has smoothed out after the 6,000 mile service, and there is a big difference based on the oil you use, and how often you change it. BMW Advantec Ultimate is quite good, I recommend against Liqui-Moly from my experience in this motor. When my next service comes up I will probably try Motul 7100. Based on used oil analysis, a lot of oil shear happens in this application, so I will probably continue to change my oil slightly ahead of the BMW schedule, If the oil you're running now has greater than 4,000 miles on it, you will notice a difference in the way the gearbox behaves when you change it.

As far as the power delivery of this bike, I tend to tell people who haven't ridden it that the motor is simply a half step between the Tracer 7/MT-07/Tenere 700/XSR700 and the Tracer 9/MT-09/XSR900. If you're looking for a more heavily-optioned Tracer 7 with a bump in power, torque, and refinement, the F900XR is a great option.  If you've ridden the Tracer 9, liked it, and wanted that level of performance or more, you'll be left wanting. I personally hated the fueling and power delivery of the MT-09 when I test rode it before buying my F900R, but that puts me at odds with practically every Youtuber and motojournalist out there who made the same comparison.

To be honest, the F900 platform is not what I would recommend to most buyers shopping this category. It doesn't have the universal appeal of some other bikes, and the price:performance ratio is hard for most buyers to justify. It appeals to a small subset of riders who value a pretty particular mix of characteristics. I do think for some, it is the best option on the market, but for the majority, there are better options.

I hope this novel doesn't come across as defensive, I completely respect the position of not liking this bike, I just wanted to give my perspective on the issues as I understand them.

• Offline DougD   th

• XR Pro  ‐    94

Offline DougD

• XR Pro
    • Town / City: Sri Racha
    Reply #11 on: June 21, 2022, 07:37:59 pm
    June 21, 2022, 07:37:59 pm
    I read it to the end so the "novel" must have been compelling.  :002: (and agreed)

• Offline Daimac   wales

• XR Member  ‐    47

Offline Daimac

• XR Member
    Reply #12 on: June 21, 2022, 07:52:11 pm
    June 21, 2022, 07:52:11 pm
     :762:

Some good posts - I swapped a Honda last century for a R60/7 that I’d never ridden - I thought it was broken with a 1 down 4 up and 4 neutrals gearbox and the centrifugal effect of the shaft was something else when accelerating/de accelerating. I stuck with it and loved it .. and a 37 year affinity to the quirks of BMW started  :087:

Keep enjoying motorcycling .. and there’s some really useful stuff on this forum.

:763:

• Offline Drewv   gb

• XR Newbie  ‐    8
    • Topic Author

Offline Drewv

• XR Newbie
    • Topic Author
    Reply #13 on: June 22, 2022, 09:11:53 am
    June 22, 2022, 09:11:53 am
    Rode it into work , things are better - adjusted the clutch to my liking - previous owner had the biting point set at almost the end of the span, has helped the gear change or I'm adapting to it.

It's for me still the motor - I so wanted to love this bike but just don't. Or I don't yet.

Thanks for the replies most have been constructive & confirmed what I thought 👍

• Offline MotoJoro   bg

• XR Pro  ‐    129

Offline MotoJoro

• XR Pro
    • Town / City: Sofia
    Reply #14 on: June 22, 2022, 10:40:42 am
    June 22, 2022, 10:40:42 am
    I mean:

https://accelerationtimes.com/models/yamaha-mt-09-2020

https://accelerationtimes.com/models/bmw-f-900-r

I don't know what more you want? I think it's just because newer bikes are made with very linear torque and power curves you don't feel the KICK of the engine.
    Next time you ride it just twist the wrist but watch the speedo.
    I had Fz6 Fazer - 62nm and 96hp. Before I sold it I used to ride them both. The Fazer felt like a dead fish until 7000rpm and then it came the "boost kick" but still it is slower than the XR.
    My girl rides Tuono 660 - she is 60kg with gear and the motorcycle is 183kg wet. I am 100kg + 235kg motorcycle and on 3rd gear when we overtake fast I almost hit her because she has this flat line in the torque curve before 6000 rpm.

It's the same with the throttle response - with direct wire the throttle valve will open more with slight twist of the wrist and you feel like the engine is alive but after that brief moment you are left with a felling that you stopped accelerating. When they make it linear you don't feel such a rush at the beginning but you have the power till the end.

I find the 900xr very pleasant bike with a lot of power but like everybody said it might just not be the right one for you.

• Offline Snatchy   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    103

Offline Snatchy

• XR Pro
    Reply #15 on: June 22, 2022, 11:21:16 am
    June 22, 2022, 11:21:16 am
    *Originally Posted by Drewv [+]

It's for me still the motor - I so wanted to love this bike but just don't. Or I don't yet.

Thanks for the replies most have been constructive & confirmed what I thought 👍

Have you taken it on some twisty B roads yet?

Honestly, second or third gear and power out of the bends. Always brings a massive smile to my face.

Did this on my test ride, and it's what sold me the bike.

• Online figbat   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    59

Online figbat

• XR Pro
    • Town / City: South Oxfordshire
    Reply #16 on: June 22, 2022, 04:38:22 pm
    June 22, 2022, 04:38:22 pm
    *Originally Posted by Drewv [+]

I know exactly what you are going through.  I bought my last bike in a fit of lust - I desperately wanted to love it and under precisely the right conditions it was sublime, but if things weren't perfect it became a drain to ride; I put up with it for a couple of years then PXed it for the F900XR.  Within 100 metres of the test ride I knew I'd done the right thing.

The previous bike was a KTM 990SM-T which is universally praised but was just too in-your-face for me - down an empty B-road with the sun out and the tyres warm it was a joy, but trying to ride it at a steady speed, at low speeds, in traffic, in short in more common conditions, it was just hard work.  The XR is a bit slower but so much easier and nicer to ride over a range of conditions which makes it better for me.

I'm not trying to convince you about the XR - it may not be your cup of tea - but I can empathise about how you feel about your new bike.

• Offline patgm   us

• XR Pro  ‐    143

Offline patgm

• XR Pro
    Reply #17 on: June 23, 2022, 04:46:24 pm
    June 23, 2022, 04:46:24 pm
    *Originally Posted by MotoJoro [+]
    I think it's just because newer bikes are made with very linear torque and power curves you don't feel the KICK of the engine.
    Next time you ride it just twist the wrist but watch the speedo.

It's the same with the throttle response - When they make it linear you don't feel such a rush at the beginning but you have the power till the end.
    💯.  This bike was tuned to be linear, tractable, predictable; to a lot of riders that means 'boring'. The engine is for someone who is looking for a satisfying roll-on from 4-6k rpm, it's not for someone who lives their life near redline. It's optimized for the way most bikes are most often used, rather than the way they are used when being reviewed or sized-up. More exciting motorcycles optimize for absolute peak numbers and not much else.

For the OP, it may be worth looking into the RS2E tune if you're willing to go with an aftermarket ECU flash. There's a couple of threads about tuning, but so far RS2E is really the only one broadly available.