Author Topic: F900xr te with extrs for for sale  (Read 2648 times)

Offline zsguerreiro

• XR Member
Re: F900xr te with extrs for for sale
Reply #10 on: January 25, 2021, 03:37:20 PM
*Originally Posted by Happyman [+]
Keep in mind that a dealer needs to make a profit on selling your bike, so their offer to you will be below market value.
If you want market value, sell it yourself to someone else.
Well, why does he need to make a profit on my bike? He’s already making a profit on the one he’s selling

Offline Happyman

• XR Pro
Reply #11 on: January 25, 2021, 05:33:06 PM
*Originally Posted by zsguerreiro [+]
Well, why does he need to make a profit on my bike? He’s already making a profit on the one he’s selling
Come on, really?
Would you buy a bike as a trade-in and resell it at no profit? BMW dealers are a business. Businesses make money. Sell your bike to another person at market value and keep all the money. Same situation for car dealers. Your trade-in value at a dealer is considered “wholesale” value. The dealer selling your trade-in sells it at “retail”, or “market” value.

Offline HullXR

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Hull
Reply #12 on: January 25, 2021, 07:39:09 PM
One comment I would make is how can non BMW dealers come up with a realistic part exchange against even second hand bikes of other makes.

I understand they have to make a margin but so do other dealers. I think it’s the size of hit your supposed to take which is the issue. Who is in a better position to sell a used BMW than BMW dealer. It just feels like they don’t really value their own bikes used. Just my feelings from my many part exchanges over the years with lots of different brands.

Offline Greg900

• XR Newbie
Reply #13 on: January 25, 2021, 08:15:58 PM
they don't call them stealerships for nothing.
I've opted for PCP deals on my last 3 BMW's and I think its becoming the way now.
keep the bike for 2 1/2 years and chop it in when bored.
trouble is the dealer knows that well kept and serviced bikes will always be returned giving them a constant supply of used bikes,  thus bringing the px value down.
PCP has always worked well for me leaving a healthy deposit.
My Xr TE costs me £130 per month with no cash down payment.
But ! chop it in too early and the dealer proper shafts you :007:

Offline zsguerreiro

• XR Member
Reply #14 on: January 25, 2021, 08:18:39 PM
I have to say that my experience here in Portugal has been worse with Triumph,
BMW isn’t that bad compared to Triumph. Maybe it’s different in the UK

Offline Astro

• XR Pro
Reply #15 on: January 26, 2021, 04:11:55 AM
A market will only bare what it bares.
I never understood why folks get so peeved with trade in prices.

Let's use a number of 20k on the road for a new xyz900 of whatever description. 2.5k is Gov charges, rego etc. So that makes the new bike 17.5k. But what would someone want to pay for a used bike which was that price new? Is it worth 3/4 of new? More? Less?
Me, if it's 17.5 new, I'm not spending more than 13k used.
Then the dealership has to make a profit. Call it 1k for the sake of the argument. That means 12k or less they would need to pay for it. That doesn't take into consideration that they will have to hold it in stock, sitting on 11 or 12k of operating capital, for up to three months, sometimes more. Plus warrant it.

For the convenience of not having to prepare, advertise, deal with "buyers" and being able to walk in with the old one, throw them the keys and ride out of there on a new one right there and then is surely worth all that isn't it?

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Reply #16 on: January 26, 2021, 05:19:36 AM
All Dealers are there to make money.   They sell you a new bike and make a profit. Your Trade in in their eyes is another transaction,
which has to produce a profit otherwise why handle it. I know how the market works. But when a BMW Dealer rings a Bike Wholesaler
on their own product which is still under New Bike Warranty. That part makes no sense to me. How can a Wholesaler who spends all of
his time baying Japanese bikes be able to price a BMW.??

So lets all become BMW Valuers.   2020 BMW F 900 XR. 12 Months old with 6000-10000 Km. With all the extras. Excellent Condition.

Retail Price  Australia $23000.00- $25000.00
Minus Government Charges $22500.00-$22000.00
    "    Dealer Profit ?         $20500.00 $20000.00
What is the top $ we would be happy to pay for this bike??
$14000.00 - $16000.00 ??
Wholesale / Trade Value/ Trade in Value  $11000.00-$13000.00 ??
Nice drop in 12 Months. That's just IMHO.
Happy to see other views.  Cheers Leon

strongminded