Author ESA versus manual adjustment  (Read 385 times)

• Offline JJB   gb

• XR Newbie  ‐    5
    • Topic Author

Offline JJB

• XR Newbie
    • Topic Author
    ESA versus manual adjustment
    on: June 10, 2022, 08:40:47 pm
    June 10, 2022, 08:40:47 pm
    Hi everyone, This is regarding suspension, just bear with me :015:
    I have been riding for many years and currently have a CRF 100 Africa Twin, which I used to enjoy, but as I am approaching 74 years young it feels big and heavy and I need a lighter smaller bike, particularly as my wife no longer comes as pillion. - OK preamble over.
    I test rode a 900XR for 4+ hours this week and, I liked the bike very much in almost every way. Handling, performance, lightness, gadgets, economy, even comfort, BUT the ESA felt harsh and gave a hard ride, even in road mode. Yes, I noticed the fork dive under heavy braking, but still OK until I upgrade.
    I am on the brink of buying a one-year-old one and believe I would be better at buying the manually adjustable preload as opposed to ESA.[/u]
    Would this give me a more comfortable ride, as the ESA has limited adjustment options?
    Thank you in advance for your advice :763:

• Offline patgm   us

• XR Pro  ‐    143

Offline patgm

• XR Pro
    Re: ESA versus manual adjustment
    Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 01:24:52 am
    June 15, 2022, 01:24:52 am
    *Originally Posted by JJB [+]
    I need a lighter smaller bike.
    The Africa Twin is 501lbs wet vs the XR's 482lbs, doesn't seem like a worthwhile benefit in terms of weight savings, I guess the XR may not be quite as tall and top heavy though.
    *Originally Posted by JJB [+]
    The ESA felt harsh and gave a hard ride, even in road mode.
    I am on the brink of buying a one-year-old one and believe I would be better at buying the manually adjustable preload as opposed to ESA.[/u]
    Would this give me a more comfortable ride, as the ESA has limited adjustment options?
    Thank you in advance for your advice :763:
    I think the advantage of the manually adjustable rear shock is that it might be easier and cheaper to swap for quality aftermarket. I would be surprised if the manually adjustable shock was more comfortable than ESA, but I guess it depends on what you consider comfortable. I haven't ridden an Africa Twin, but with its offroad focus, I wouldn't expect the XR's manually adjustable shock to feel any closer to it than the ESA shock. Both options on the XR are road-focused, so they'll likely be more similar to each other than either is to the Africa Twin.

• Offline LP17   au

• XR Pro  ‐    332

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
    • Town / City: Melbourne
    Re: ESA versus manual adjustment
    Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 06:34:39 am
    June 15, 2022, 06:34:39 am
    I believe most Bikes are set up for an average weight of 85-90 Kilo riders with all their riding gear on. If you are outside of these weights
    you should consider changing your Springs regardless whether it's ESA or Standard suspension.  :084: :028: