Author Topic: Do I need a padock stand ?  (Read 529 times)

Offline tcbezza

• XR Member
Do I need a padock stand ?
on: May 10, 2022, 09:45:48 AM
I am about to replace the chain and sprockets and have a quick question for anybody that has already done this.

I need to remove the left hand plate that holds the foot peg and gear change to get to the gearbox sprocket. Can I do this and leave the bike on the centre stand or do I need to use a paddock stand to support the bike on the swing arm. Any ideas people?

Offline rcb78

• XR Master
Re: Do I need a padock stand ?
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 03:05:03 PM
You 'can' leave it on the center stand but you really shouldn't.  Removing the plate with leave the center stand only attached to one side of the bike.  That's quite a bit of load for only half the fasteners on one side.  If you do risk it, at least put a jack under the engine to help support the weight.
A better solution is a stand with a metal rod through the hollow axle.

Offline JonLBaxter

• XR Newbie
Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 07:52:21 AM
I just had a look at my own bike.  You are right and I am disappointed to see that that same plate which needs to come off supports both the center stand and the swing arm pivot.  They have made a job which should be simple look quite difficult.  The previous suggestion about support under the engine looks good, but with the lack of support for the swing arm on the left side, I'm not sure if the rod through the axle will be safe, at least not through the rear axle. It looks like you are the trailblazer tcbezza. 

There are stands which keep the front wheel upright.  I'm thinking one of those with a second support under the engine may work.  I'm just thinking out loud now though.  Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Offline TheUDM

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Toronto
Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 02:37:57 PM
Here's a video of how to replace a chain on F850GS - and F900 is basically the same.

At around 5:20 the guy (he works for a dealership) specifically mentions that you should use a support under the engine for this job, but since his stand is used by another bike, he will use a rear stand  :001:

And half way through that video the bike remains supported only by a center stand  :008:

Offline tcbezza

• XR Member
Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 03:15:24 PM
Thanks for the responses.
I have a paddock stand on order so between that and the other bits (jacks, wooden blocks) in the garage I hope I can get the job done.

I have been spoilt but my last two Tigers, they only needed three small screws removing to release a plastic cover and you have easy access to the gearbox sprocket.

I will report back once I have finished the job.

Offline rcb78

• XR Master
Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 02:59:17 AM
*Originally Posted by JonLBaxter [+]
I just had a look at my own bike.  You are right and I am disappointed to see that that same plate which needs to come off supports both the center stand and the swing arm pivot.

Look closer, it does not support the swing arm pivot, it merely acts as a cap providing a place for the bolt to clamp against.  The swing arm pivot thru bolt is supported in the middle by the frame of the bike.  The only way you would have any issues is if you removed the circlip on the other side and pounding the bolt about half way out.  Supporting the bike with a paddock stand is perfectly ok when the plate is removed.  I've had my foot rest plate off twice now, you'll be fine.  Your bigger concern should be having a torque wrench that reads high enough and having a spare end bolt since the manual calls for replacement whenever it's removed.  The bolt is torque to yield, luckily it's super cheap.

Offline JonLBaxter

• XR Newbie
Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 07:36:02 AM
Happy to be wrong on that one.  It looks terrible from the outside.  :008:

Offline tcbezza

• XR Member
Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 06:48:24 PM
Here are my thoughts after finishing the chain and sprocket replacement.

Removing the left side footrest hanger is quiet straight forward but you will need a size 60  torx socket to undo the swing arm bolt. This is done up to some 200 NM so it is very tight. I had to use a breaker bar with the Ĺ drive torx socket to get it undone. This bolt tensions the swing arm pivot but the swing arm wonít come out as a result of taking the bolt away, there is clip arrangement that prevents it moving. The rest of the bolts are straight forward.

Removing the footrest hanger bolts removes 2 bolts from the side stand bracket and one bolt from the centre stand bracket. I guess you could rely on leaving the bike on the centre stand but Iím not sure that would be a great idea. In the end I used a rear paddock stand to support to bike which was fine. Be careful removing the clip on the gear change joint, it is small and likes to fly away!
Once you have the footrest hanger of, loosen the bolt on the gearbox sprocket before you remove the rear wheel and use the foot brake to stop the gearbox sprocket turning.

Removing the rear wheel is straight forward. I had to gently drift the axel out as there was no grease in sight and it was sticking. Also the chain adjuster screws / slider were dry. Copper slip on reassembly made the job easier.

One benefit of removing the footrest hanger is that you donít need to split the chain to get it off. Removing the rear wheel and then slide the gearbox sprocket of. You will probably fine old grease making that a bit tricky but thatís all really.

Reassembly is just the reverse process, remember to make sure the washers for the gearbox sprocket are the right way round. The inner one is dished so look at it as you take it off.
You will need a chain riveter to fit the new chain as expected.

Offline TheUDM

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Toronto
Reply #8 on: May 18, 2022, 09:28:09 PM
*Originally Posted by tcbezza [+]
size 60  torx socket to undo the swing arm bolt. This is done up to some 200 NM so it is very tight. I
BMW recommends replacing this bolt btw.

Offline JonLBaxter

• XR Newbie
Reply #9 on: May 19, 2022, 01:48:25 AM
Thanks for the details.  It doesn't sound too bad the way you have described it. 

I hope to not have to do it for a while yet.