Author Topic: First service for 900R  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Mayan

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Sevenoaks
Re: First service for 900R
Reply #20 on: June 27, 2020, 10:54:47 AM
*Originally Posted by Mad Tenor [+]
Just had my first service at my dealer today! They had just restarted business for servicing after the lockdown and had a very efficient timed-appointment “service while you wait” system which worked very well.

Gradually opened up the last 2000 available revs. and enjoyed the sunny ride home via some of my favourite B-roads. The performance is certainly brisk enough, especially just opening the throttle completely and holding it there while clutchlessly changing through the gears at about 8000 revs...... 😈

Had the “Dynamic Pro” activated by the insertion of the circuit plug; the throttle set-up is identical to the standard “Dynamic” setting which itself is livelier than the “Road” setting as noted in my “The first 500 miles....” post. The only advantage over the standard “Dynamic” mode is that the pro version allows different combinations of throttle, ABS and DTC settings with the options of switching the latter two completely off. Not sure I’ll bother with wheelies and rear-wheel slides anymore at my age....😂

Incidentally, as oil consumption was debated on another thread; I have not needed to top up in the first 800 miles. The first time I checked it showed that the oil was not filled to maximum but subsequent checks confirmed that the level did not perceptibly change.

Otherwise, it continues to loosen up nicely and I am enjoying the synergy of usable performance combined with really fluid handling. Apart from the “normal” qualities and characteristics of BMW bikes, it seems they have gone to great lengths to produce a bike that provides grins and fun.......

As a matter of interest how much was the service ?
Mayan🏍

Offline Mad Tenor

• XR Pro
Reply #21 on: June 27, 2020, 11:38:49 PM
Hi Mayan,

As I mentioned on a previous comment a couple of pages ago, I was charged a flat rate of £100 including oil and other consumables. Not sure whether it was a special fixed price of my dealer (the excellent Sycamore Motorrad of Peterborough) or BMW (UK)...... after 1500 miles, it’s loosening up nicely......👍

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #22 on: June 28, 2020, 12:27:17 AM
I think you probably got a special deal considering the cost of the materials over here is about $80 before tax.  At the current rate, you paid $123 meaning only $40 in labor.  My guess is that they just had you pay 'cost'.  It'll be interesting to know what people are being charged for their 6k (10k km) service when we are no longer considered 'new customers'.

Offline Strike_Zero

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Columbia, SC
Reply #23 on: June 30, 2020, 04:14:12 PM
600 mile service was $280. It was the same for my G310R.

I need to get more intimate with the manual. I'm not paying them $300/year for oil, a checkup, and resetting the light.
-=PJ
=============
Strike Zero Garage

Offline Beano

• XR Member
Reply #24 on: July 04, 2020, 09:23:13 AM
That is a very good price. I paid £151 (inc VAT) for the same at Cotswold Motorrad in Cheltenham.

*Originally Posted by Mad Tenor [+]
Hi Mayan,

As I mentioned on a previous comment a couple of pages ago, I was charged a flat rate of £100 including oil and other consumables. Not sure whether it was a special fixed price of my dealer (the excellent Sycamore Motorrad of Peterborough) or BMW (UK)...... after 1500 miles, it’s loosening up nicely......👍
Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 09:23:53 AM by Beano

strongminded