Author Topic: TFT display failures  (Read 491 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Astro

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 57
  • Country: au
TFT display failures
on: April 20, 2022, 09:15:54 AM
Anyone had any TFT issues? I've got an issue which popped up two rides ago.

When set on distance to empty, that section of the TFT switches randomly between distance to empty and showing the fuel gauge as empty (regardless of fuel level)

Anyone experienced this on theirs?

Offline brucedimon

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 96
  • Town / City: Fairfax, Virginia
  • Country: us
Re: TFT display failures
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 02:44:15 PM
Regardless of what I have my TFT set to display on the top line, it will switch to the fuel gauge with miles remaining to empty when the bike has less than a gallon left.  For example, I set it to show tire pressure. The display will switch to the fuel gauge with miles remaining to empty when I have about 50 miles of gasoline left.
Bruce
Northern Virginia, USA
F900XR

Offline Astro

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 57
  • Country: au
Re: TFT display failures
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 03:11:49 PM
*Originally Posted by brucedimon [+]
Regardless of what I have my TFT set to display on the top line, it will switch to the fuel gauge with miles remaining to empty when the bike has less than a gallon left.  For example, I set it to show tire pressure. The display will switch to the fuel gauge with miles remaining to empty when I have about 50 miles of gasoline left.

Happens with full tank.

Offline TheUDM

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 108
  • Town / City: Toronto
  • Country: ca
Re: TFT display failures
Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 05:16:48 PM
*Originally Posted by Astro [+]
Happens with full tank.
Sounds like a fuel sensor problem, not TFT problem.

Offline Stonesie

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 68
  • Town / City: Doncaster
  • Country: gb
Re: TFT display failures
Reply #4 on: April 20, 2022, 06:04:55 PM
*Originally Posted by Astro [+]
Anyone had any TFT issues? I've got an issue which popped up two rides ago.

When set on distance to empty, that section of the TFT switches randomly between distance to empty and showing the fuel gauge as empty (regardless of fuel level)

Anyone experienced this on theirs?

That's the tell-tale part of your problem and indicates a faulty fuel level sensor as TheUDM posted above.

To the dealer and let the warranty sort it out.

I had the same issue with both my KTM SDGT and Ducati Multistrada but in the grand scheme of things it's a minor annoyance rather than a critical failure.

Offline Astro

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 57
  • Country: au
Re: TFT display failures
Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 01:30:38 AM
*Originally Posted by TheUDM [+]
Sounds like a fuel sensor problem, not TFT problem.

Spot on.  :152:
After having to twist the dealers arm to find the problem.... they found the problem. 😂 Fuel sensor fried. Part ordered. Told I'd have it in two weeks. It's two weeks now.😁 Hopefully have it back by September.😂

Offline brucedimon

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 96
  • Town / City: Fairfax, Virginia
  • Country: us
Re: TFT display failures
Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 12:57:04 PM
*Originally Posted by Astro [+]
.😁 Hopefully have it back by September.😂
Is the dealer keeping your bike until the part arrives? I think I misunderstood.  :187:
Bruce
Northern Virginia, USA
F900XR

Offline Astro

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 57
  • Country: au
Re: TFT display failures
Reply #7 on: May 13, 2022, 12:59:28 PM
*Originally Posted by brucedimon [+]
Is the dealer keeping your bike until the part arrives? I think I misunderstood.  :187:
It's a three hour drive. So I just told them to ring me when it's fixed. I have a couple of Kawasaki's as well, so I'm not missing out.👍

Offline brucedimon

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 96
  • Town / City: Fairfax, Virginia
  • Country: us
Re: TFT display failures
Reply #8 on: May 13, 2022, 01:33:37 PM
*Originally Posted by Astro [+]
It's a three hour drive. So I just told them to ring me when it's fixed. I have a couple of Kawasaki's as well, so I'm not missing out.👍
I see. My dealer said they should keep my bike until they have the parts to fix the accident damage. Their reasons are that there might be internal damage to the front suspension that they will replace and if I scratch a part that the insurance pays to replace, then I would assume some of the responsbility for the cost of the part.

It's my only motorcycle and I'm going nuts without my bike. I really miss using the HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle or carpool) lanes for commuting and enjoying a ride on the weekend. If it's not back by my club's rally, I think I'll rent a bike and send the bill to the insurance company.
Bruce
Northern Virginia, USA
F900XR