Author Topic: Mudguard extenders  (Read 2317 times)

Offline XRDave

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Beith
Re: Mudguard extenders
Reply #20 on: September 02, 2020, 11:47:06 AM
Hi,
I made my own front mudguard extension from the rear part of a R1150 front mudguard. Parts are:-
1 R1150RT or R rear part of front mudguard.
8 x M5 screws and nuts.
16 plain washers.
2 pieces steel flat from your scrap bin. Mine are 12 x 2.5 x 195 mm.
2 x 20 mm stainless P clips.

There is a rectangular raised section in the centre of the 1150 item that needs to be cut off flush.
At the two middle screws between the mudguards I put 4 plain washers on each screw between the items to keep the 1150 item angled down and away from the exhaust.
The P clips are a little wide to fit the gap between the calliper and the fork. Take the rubber off and file the clip down a few mm before refitting the rubber and the clip.
It works a treat.

Offline badger

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Near Loomies
Reply #21 on: September 05, 2020, 08:51:42 PM
*Originally Posted by Dresdner [+]
Ok, got them and installed them.
I used the stickers but also the rivets to make sure it will not fall off.
Yes it looks strange that rivet in the rear but it is what it is.
I am not so happy from the front, not like the rear it doesn't fit perfectly and it doesn't look that great but still it will do what i need it to do and i am almost sure my riding buddies will not notice i installed them so no impact on looks.

Quick question - how did you get to drill the hole for the rivet in the rear? Guessing you didn't take the chain guard off.

Offline Fat-Shark

• XR Newbie
Reply #22 on: September 21, 2020, 12:04:44 AM
*Originally Posted by Dresdner [+]
Pyramid plastics are providing 4 rivets per extender but writes that you can do only with the sticky pads.
Because on my trips i need to cross Germany and i am basically riding 160 kmh from one gas station to another the all day i want to be sure it will not fall off and hit a car behind me
or warp around the chain.

Others are reporting they did not use the rivets and its holding just fine.

The front with the sticky pads was not feeling like there is good contact there, rear was much better so 2 rivets on the side for the front will be good idea, the rear is up to you

Are you still happy with these extenders?
can you share how they are holding up?

Offline IIlly

• XR Member
Reply #23 on: September 29, 2020, 06:56:32 PM
I have front and rear huggers from Pyramid and after 1800 miles they are holding up just fine

strongminded