Author Topic: Rough clutch lever  (Read 749 times)

Offline figbat

• XR Member
  • Town / City: South Oxfordshire
Rough clutch lever
on: April 04, 2022, 04:06:01 PM
I've read about the 'click' on some clutches - and have experienced it myself - but on a longer ride recently the clutch became a bit 'notchy', especially through the initial movement when letting it out, meaning finesse on clutch control could be difficult.  The clutch lever was also quite heavy after a day riding - not sure if this is just my own weakness or something with the bike.  Anybody had similar?

It'll be in for its run-in service soon so I'll mention it then.

Offline Daimac

• XR Member
Re: Rough clutch lever
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 04:40:59 PM
The bike I test rode (a TE with shift assist) pre-purchase of my f900XR had a noticeable click - it almost felt like a dodgy cable, however, I learned from the forum that it is a Ďfeatureí - my own TE/shift assist model features the click and not a huge run out on the clutch.
Iím still running in so have not experienced anything beyond this so far.
Regards,
D.

Offline rcb78

• XR Master
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 07:08:11 PM
The click is normal with the revised 850gs clutch but lever should move smoothly.  It'll only click when the clutch grabs on a down shift or on the next upshift after downshifting as the slipper mech resets.  Should probably take it to the dealer.

Offline figbat

• XR Member
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2022, 07:33:55 PM
Yeah, Iíve read a couple of reports of the lever feeling like it doesnít go out fully, which is how this feels, plus it became hard work on my hand by the end of the day.

Iíll see what the dealer says.

Offline mcp

• XR Newbie
Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 12:47:29 PM
Noticed this click on my first ride on my new bike the other day. My hand was getting tired and my wrist sore after a couple of hours, and the click became noticeable on snatched shifts. Dialling the clutch lever in a bit to reduce the stroke sorted out the wrist pain and improved my clutch control, and concentrating on being a bit gentler and more finessed on releasing the clutch made the clicking stop. I figured that the click was some kind of mechanism to save my rear-wheel traction from my ham-fisted clutch control.

Offline patgm

• XR Pro
Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 05:47:54 PM
I've never heard of the clutch lever pull effort increasing on these bikes, though I've heard its other issues described in a lot of different ways.  Since everyone's description is based on feel, it's pretty hard to tell when two different descriptions are of the same problem, or when two different problems being described in a similar way.

The roughness is very common, but it's hard to say when it's just the slip&assist mechanism doing its thing, and when it's an actual service issue. Some have had their entire clutch replaced multiple times, others have been satisfied just by adjusting the cable to allow more play at the lever. I don't think there are any other adjustments that can be done to the clutch system, but others can correct me if there is something I'm missing.

Offline figbat

• XR Member
Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 08:57:30 PM
*Originally Posted by mcp [+]
Noticed this click on my first ride on my new bike the other day. My hand was getting tired and my wrist sore after a couple of hours, and the click became noticeable on snatched shifts. Dialling the clutch lever in a bit to reduce the stroke sorted out the wrist pain and improved my clutch control, and concentrating on being a bit gentler and more finessed on releasing the clutch made the clicking stop. I figured that the click was some kind of mechanism to save my rear-wheel traction from my ham-fisted clutch control.

Exactly the same for me - rough and tough.

Offline slowpoke

• XR Newbie
Reply #7 on: May 09, 2022, 04:52:39 AM
I reported mine getting worse and worse. Sent a video to BMW at one point when it was obvious from the helmet camera (extremely rare to catch). They had the shop mechanic put a new clutch in, and I took it back to have that looked at when it seemed to play up again. The cable broke while they test rode it.

I just don't know what to say.