Author Topic: F900XR Too Tame?  (Read 2857 times)

Online DougD

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Sri Racha
Re: F900XR Too Tame?
Reply #10 on: January 03, 2022, 11:35:06 PM
I need to write better! :034: Dynamic Pro mode does not enhance throttle sensitivity any more than Dynamic mode. I think Dynamic mode emulates the behavior of a mechanical cable pretty closely. Thus its somehow more "familiar" and natural to me. I ride 100% on road (Thailand has fairly predictable weather) and while riding fairly aggressive at times I don't think easing off the ABS or traction control and allowing me that flexibility would be particularly useful. Maybe?  :002: I could see how it would be helpful in the dirt locking the rear or wanting to allow some slip when accelerating on pavement? Anyway cool flexibility to have but I just haven't exploited that feature much.

Offline Need2lose20

• XR Member
Reply #11 on: January 04, 2022, 01:54:39 AM
*Originally Posted by patgm [+]
Consider taking an intermediate or advanced rider course, or try the Yamaha Champions Rider School's online course "Champ U". But truthfully, nobody should fully exploit a 100hp motorcycle on public roads regardless of skill level, if you want to find the limits of rider and machine, take it to the track 👍.

You are 100% spot on. The F900XR is such a composed and well rounded bike. I really was not expecting this level of refinement in a sub $15k motorcycle. I suppose extra HP is not going to do anything for me in the twisties.

I’m already doing Champ U, but one of these days will do CA Superbike School so I can experience an S1000RR. No matter what I simply cannot stop dreaming about that bike.   :182:

Offline Need2lose20

• XR Member
Reply #12 on: January 04, 2022, 01:59:15 AM
*Originally Posted by DougD [+]
:001: Yes, I have my bike in Dynamic 100% of the time! I don't bother with the other modes. I don't use Dynamic Pro mode option either as the power delivery is the same as in Dynamic and I prefer not to disengage or decrease the safety aids. But to be fair I short shift fairly often when just running around town. But if riding more aggressively and at higher revs I'll also use the shift assist at that time as well.

Me too. Maybe I’m just too tame with the throttle. This is my first bike with ride by wire and throttle is very well controlled. I’m also use to lower power / higher revving engines that need some throttle to really get going.

Offline figbat

• XR Member
  • Town / City: South Oxfordshire
Reply #13 on: January 04, 2022, 11:12:59 AM
*Originally Posted by Stonesie [+]
One of the things that attracted me to the 900XR was the tame power...

Oh, me too!  I came to the XR from a KTM 990SM-T and the first 20 metres of the test ride on the BMW were like a blessed relief - the KTM was always a snarling, in-your-face nutter that, under the right conditions, was a joy but when you just wanted to ride and get somewhere, was very wearing.  The BMW offers most of the performance of the KTM but with a much wider enjoyment zone.  Maybe that makes it less ultimately exciting, but it suits my needs better.  I really wanted to love the KTM but it was just too frantic for me.  The BMW is much more up my street.

Offline Snatchy

• XR Pro
Reply #14 on: January 06, 2022, 01:18:47 PM
Straight line acceleration is not what this bike is really designed for. I do find myself constantly jumping into the rev limiter.

It all depends on what you want from a bike. Like it's been said before this bike is a really good all rounder, but i wouldn't say it was too tame.

Get on some twisty B roads, stick it in 3rd gear and wait for your face to smile.

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Reply #15 on: January 07, 2022, 05:27:05 AM
I think that the weight factor has a lot to do with performance, and handling in general. If we could lose 20 Pounds in our weight or make our bikes lighter that would certainly improve the 900 XR performance. This bike excels in the real twisties where your in 2nd to 4th gear and  really twisting the throttle to its limits. :005: Spending a lot of time at full throttle, braking and leaning over into the next corner for 100 Km plus is where the real fun is. I do agree we could all like more power and go in a straight line on some back roads or highways.
If that's what you are looking for than the XR 1000 should be your next bike, that would have been my first choice but being a short arse put a stop to that idea. :008:  Find some real twisties and enjoy this well balanced bike. :046:       

Offline Need2lose20

• XR Member
Reply #16 on: January 08, 2022, 01:19:50 AM
*Originally Posted by LP17 [+]
I think that the weight factor has a lot to do with performance, and handling in general. If we could lose 20 Pounds in our weight or make our bikes lighter that would certainly improve the 900 XR performance.     
Bloody hell. You sound like my wife. I will report back once I’ve lost 20 lbs, but it could be a while before you hear back.

Need2lose20

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Reply #17 on: January 08, 2022, 01:47:21 AM
LOL. :008: :047: You are a funny man. I could do with loosing about 10 and I plan to do that this year :038: In the mean time I plan to keep on passing a lot of those younger riders in the more serious twisties. :007: :028:

Offline F900XRRider

• XR Member
Reply #18 on: January 22, 2022, 03:23:47 AM
If you live and ride where the roads are straight, yeah probably.  Capable, entertaining, lovable……yes.  It’s all those.  If you live and ride where it’s twisty(er), want comfort, light weight, and a serious sleeper on those twisty roads…no, it not “too tame.”  I moved from a Ducati 1200S Pikes Peak (which I loved) to the F900XR recently due to some hip/health problems.  I miss that raw Italian power outright sexiness.  The F900XR has it beat most everywhere else.  I love them both equally. Look up my write up on my Muliti vs my 900XR. More detailed than this and I tried to make it an entertaining read. 

Ride safe
Mark

Offline Need2lose20

• XR Member
Reply #19 on: January 25, 2022, 07:01:19 AM
*Originally Posted by F900XRRider [+]
If you live and ride where the roads are straight, yeah probably.  Capable, entertaining, lovable……yes.  It’s all those.  If you live and ride where it’s twisty(er), want comfort, light weight, and a serious sleeper on those twisty roads…no, it not “too tame.”  I moved from a Ducati 1200S Pikes Peak (which I loved) to the F900XR recently due to some hip/health problems.  I miss that raw Italian power outright sexiness.  The F900XR has it beat most everywhere else.  I love them both equally. Look up my write up on my Muliti vs my 900XR. More detailed than this and I tried to make it an entertaining read. 

Ride safe
Mark
I had to feed the addiction and picked up an F850GS (non adventure) this weekend. The F850GS engine has a very satisfying hit in dynamic mode of course and immediately brought a smile to my face as I got pushed back in my seat. Maybe it's the torque delivery of the F850GS or maybe the F900XR has a very conservative throttle response. I guess my brain just assumes a sport tourer like the F900XR will have a super aggressive throttle response, but I suppose I can always give it some beans. Keeping the F900XR for the superb handling / braking / overall fun factor and the F850GS for longer rides.