Author Topic: Factory Soft Side Cases  (Read 2847 times)

Offline Need2lose20

• XR Member
Factory Soft Side Cases
on: December 28, 2021, 04:08:03 PM
Is anyone running the factory soft side cases? Wondering how much weight they can hold and how big they are compared to the hard cases. Both styles are super pricey here in the US, but I really like the factory pannier rack that my F900xr came with. Does anyone make an aftermarket side case that can take advantage of the factory pannier mount?

Also, can anyone recommend a good source for BMW accessories from Europe that ships to the US? Seems like prices are significantly cheaper vs US prices. Have no idea why this is.

Thanks

Offline rcb78

• XR Master
Re: Factory Soft Side Cases
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 06:58:50 PM
The cases are 20L (IIRC) each, so about 2/3 capacity of the hard cases.  The official weight ratings are 5kg for the soft and 8kg for the hard cases.  I have the soft cases and I've easily put in 10kg for commuting purposes.  How's they would hold up for long distance touring with that load,, dunno.
Just like every other brand of hard luggage, the mounts are proprietary, so only BMW luggage made for the bike will fit without major modifications.
I bought mine with the bike since my dealer gave me 10% off all accessories at time of purchase.  If you count the shipping costs from overseas, I'm not sure how much there is to save.  The boxes are big (1ea) and pretty heavy for international freight.
Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 07:00:01 PM by rcb78

Offline Need2lose20

• XR Member
Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 06:28:06 AM
Thanks. I will bite the bullet and order them from my local dealer.

Offline DougD

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Sri Racha
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 01:45:54 AM
Hi, I've got the BMW soft cases and have been on several longish rides in tour form. I bought them as I primarily ride solo and don't need the added capacity of the hard bags. The narrower profile is much better in my opinion. I also ride with a rear seat bag and the top box so I have ample capacity anyway. They are light, you don't have to worry about scratching them, and the mounts are amazingly solid. The bags don't rattle and are not a factor for handling. I bought some small travel locks to lock the zippers but in reality I never use them. I don't (if I can help it) ride in the rain so no issues with that and I use the included soft liners to pack loose items as its easy to grab the contents and head into a hotel. They look nice as they "tuck in" close to the bike and the black blends in well. They clean up well from road grime. All good. I think you won't regret it.

Online WestonBend

• XR Member
Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 08:24:31 PM
 :762: My experience with the BMW soft cases matches that of DougD.

Offline Jggpossum

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Castle Hill
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 04:35:51 AM
I also have the soft cases and like the size and profile compared with the hard shell which was just too big and dominated the bike. Just as some others have commented I found them quite challenging to clip into place as there is a thick rubber pin in the middle of the case attachment which presses hard against the face of the mushroom mount. Great idea to prevent rattles, but it takes some serious pressure and jiggling to get them to clip in.

Today I tried to remove them to do a thorough clean and I can't get them off. I think the fit is so tight that the catch won't release and I almost broke the key. Has anyone got any tips for getting these off? Typical German engineering - beautifully over engineered to the point of almost being impractical to use.

Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 05:02:51 AM by Jggpossum

Offline rcb78

• XR Master
Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 04:56:04 PM
You need to press inward to unload the pressure while turning the key.  It also helps to remember that both keys turn to the rear to open, which may be confusing at first since you'll turn the keys in different directions.  The actual mechanism will 'wear itself smooth' after using it for awhile.  It'll still be tight, but the key will turn more easily, so the more you use it the easier it'll be.
I haven't tried it, but maybe a squirt of silicone lubricant into the rubber stopper would help too.  It won't hurt anything and it may help the rubber to squish against the metal mount a little easier.  Silicone only though, it needs to be safe for rubber, so not just any wet lube you have laying around.
If they're REALLY stuck, open the cases so you can put pressure right on the mech without worrying about collapsing the case.
Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 04:57:14 PM by rcb78

Online WestonBend

• XR Member
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 07:45:09 PM
 :762: RCB is spot with his advice.

Offline Jggpossum

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Castle Hill
Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 01:00:06 AM
Thanks everyone for tips. Alas I could not get either to release no matter how much pressure. I disassembled one case from the inside so that I could get at the latch. Was able to just force it off by forcing the catch slide to move just a fraction further back.

Attached photos showing locked and unlocked positions of the slide concern me as you will see the amount of movement in the catch slide doesn't look enough to completely release the mushroom head. The key only moves 1/8 turn and to me it looks like I am not getting enough movement of the slide to get past the flange of the mushroom head. It is not a keying issue as even a screwdriver in the lock can't twist it more than 1/8 turn so it is an internal limitation. Can any of you tell me how much movement you get and that will help me rule out there being a problem with the internals.

thanks

Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 01:01:13 AM by Jggpossum

Offline DougD

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Sri Racha
Reply #9 on: January 23, 2022, 01:12:11 AM
By unzipping the inner liner you can gain access to the metal mounting bracket that mates the bag to the mounting which is adjustable. It takes some fiddling but you can make slight movements that can help align things better. The bags come to the dealer without the bracket installed and this is done by the dealer. I actually did it myself as I fetched the bags with my car and thus the dealer couldn't fit them to the bike so they showed me how. Also I agree with the proper lubricant and I mounted and dismounted mine dozens of times to kind of wear them in. Its worth a look.