Author Topic: 38 years off the bike, any tips?  (Read 760 times)

Offline GeorgeandZip

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Oswestry
38 years off the bike, any tips?
on: November 28, 2021, 05:02:07 PM
Having last rode 38 years ago and retirement imminent, the 900XR arrives in a couple of weeks. Apart from taking it easy to start, any tips: clothing, accessories, anything really. Even though it will be December weather in the UK, really looking forward to it. 

Offline Mikey1

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Preston
Re: 38 years off the bike, any tips?
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 08:12:01 AM
welcome along, fantastic choice of a bike for getting back into riding. regards tips hopefully some of the below will help:

1) goes without saying to ride carefully at a pace you're comfortable with, 1st time on a bike in so long and in winter conditions.
2) invest in either a merino wool base layer, or a heated vest/clothing if you're riding a lot in winter
3) coat the bike in ACF-50 or similar if you're riding it to keep the salt from corroding the fasteners
4) be aware new tyres take some scrubbing in so take each corner easily for the 1st 50+ miles or so
5) Enjoy yourself
Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 08:13:30 AM by Mikey1

Offline sparky12353

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Wrexham
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 01:34:28 PM
don't fall off

Offline Daimac

• XR Member
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 03:03:45 PM
Great bike choice Ö still waiting for mine  :400:
Think about joining an advanced rider group like RoSPA or IAM for some feedback/tuition - may be useful.
Donít bother looking for inner tubes Ö some other bits of tech will have changed too .. enjoy  :046:

Offline Skinneroo

• XR Pro
Reply #4 on: December 04, 2021, 08:51:20 PM
*Originally Posted by Mikey1 [+]
welcome along, fantastic choice of a bike for getting back into riding. regards tips hopefully some of the below will help:

1) goes without saying to ride carefully at a pace you're comfortable with, 1st time on a bike in so long and in winter conditions.
2) invest in either a merino wool base layer, or a heated vest/clothing if you're riding a lot in winter
3) coat the bike in ACF-50 or similar if you're riding it to keep the salt from corroding the fasteners
4) be aware new tyres take some scrubbing in so take each corner easily for the 1st 50+ miles or so
5) Enjoy yourself

+1on all of the above.
Sound advice 👍👌

Offline Snatchy

• XR Pro
Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 05:09:34 PM
Welcome and great choice of bike to get back on after a long time.

I'm an all weather UK rider as well. I use my heated grips along with heated gloves. I've found with the winter jackets that if you spend slightly more you do get better quality. I had a RST jacket, but recently upgraded to an Alpinestars which has been much warmer and waterproof. Obviously in heavy rain i use separate waterproofs. If doing longer journeys then the heated under vests i've heard are game changers.

I have the sports screen which i love. But thinking about getting the standard screen to use during the cold winter months for a bit more protection.

Enjoy the bike.

Offline GeorgeandZip

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Oswestry
Reply #6 on: December 11, 2021, 07:30:41 PM
Picked up today. 110 mile ride home.
Heated grips - godsend. Have a Spidi Tour HV jacket and after 60 miles of 6/7 degree temps my arms and chest were cold, even though I had merino base layer and thermal shirt.

The screen was basically window dressing for me and the buffeting and noise are unacceptable. Have already got a Puig aftermarket replacement.

The number of switches, buttons, wheel twists is going to take some understanding but Iíll get there.

Came with Bridgestones fitted. As I had the Navigator prep via a pack, bought the Nav vi and worked really well out the box.

Thanks for the welcome and responses, sure will have many questions over the coming weeks.

Online Stonesie

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Doncaster
Reply #7 on: December 11, 2021, 09:59:37 PM
Congratulations on your new bike  :152:

You will get used to the buttons for everything, I prefer it that way to be honest as my KTM (2016 SDGT) had everything buried in menu's on the dash, I think it was 7 or more button presses to turn on the heated grips, on the XR it's 1.
Although the KTM did have a heated seat, very handy this time of year.

As has been said above, ride for yourself. It's the rule on any group ride I go on and if people want to "go for a play" they are free to do that but must wait at a road junction if they are turning off the main road. So don't feel pressure to ride faster than your comfort level to keep up.

This time of year layer up, I sometimes have a base layer and 2 T shirts and a sweater under my jacket, I also have a 3įC minimum temperature limit unless I'm already out on the bike, if a car gets a little twitchy on black ice then it won't fall over like a bike can, so if it's that cold take the car.

Above all, have fun!

strongminded