Author Topic: Bmw phone mount  (Read 2684 times)

Offline TheUDM

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Toronto
Re: Bmw phone mount
Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 03:40:10 AM
*Originally Posted by rcb78 [+]
I just rewatched the launch video on YT and couldn't help but notice the giant FU to those of us with a new bike that has a TFT.  A question was asked why they didn't just use the BT connection anyway on the new bikes, hinting at a moneygrab.  The answer is that they could have, but new hardware ensures compatibility with older non-TFT bikes..... So yes, for anyone that has a new bike they purposely made new hardware for you to buy instead of using what they already had available and literally just enabling the wonder wheel.
And wonder wheel controls volume only with the BMW headsets. So yeah, FU.

Offline rcb78

• XR Master
Reply #11 on: November 30, 2021, 04:24:44 AM
And that's a design choice.  Based on the guy's answer, they could have enabled that integration of they wanted to.
IMO, they screwed the pooch with this one.  If they wanted money, they could have easily designed 'good' software and charged a subscription fee that people would have been happy to pay considering how much people were paying for the Nav unit.  Instead they are charging a small one time fee to 'enhance' the functionality of a marginal piece of software.   I keep hoping they're going to make a follow-up announcement that the connected app is being overhauled and upgraded because as it stands, wonder wheel control of the app doesn't excite me at all.

Offline patgm

• XR Pro
Reply #12 on: December 08, 2021, 10:25:57 PM
I would be interested to know what version of bluetooth the cradle uses.  The TFT has two separate bluetooth chips, an Alps UGKZ7A2001A combo bluetooth/wifi chip for phone connections, and an Alps UGXZEX304A for headset connections.  The headset chip is Bluetooth 4.2, but the phone chip was discontinued at the end of 2019 (Bosch likely had thousands on hand before they were discontinued by Alps, and probably got a steep discount for using an outdated chip), so information is limited on what bluetooth version it supported, but it looks like it was bluetooth 4.1 or 4.2. The bluetooth hardware could be part of the reason that BMW chose not to update the TFT bikes to add more features, they probably would have been even more buggy than the existing features, and they'd have more unhappy customers who felt entitled to a better experience.

As a replacement for the discontinued chip used for phone connections, Alps recommends one of their bluetooth 5.0 chips. If the cradle uses bluetooth 5.0 or newer, I will probably buy one eventually.

Offline rcb78

• XR Master
Reply #13 on: December 09, 2021, 02:27:54 AM
I dunno, I mean everyone can spend their money how they want, but with the only added functionality being wonder wheel support in the BMW app, I want to see a better app before I would consider buying the cradle.  If we're talking about someone with an older non-TFT bike that has an IMU then maybe it's cool because it adds features that we take for granted, but the TFT already displays or does everything I've seen the app capable of when in the cradle.  Still hoping they have more in store for us, feels phoned in so far.

Side note, somewhat related.  I didn't realize that BT connections are prioritized by the order they connect (dumb) and finally solved the issue of the actual phone call function defaulting to a connection with the TFT instead of my headset when making or receiving calls on the bike.  This doesn't fix the random times the bike looses the connection with the phone or headset which is rare with the current software version, but it does solve the last of my functionality issues in how everything works.
I have connections between all three devices.  The headset to phone connection ensures that I can use voice commands with the phone (hey Google).  I also make sure that the media outputs on both the TFT and headset channels.  Phone is always on, so bike on first.  Once the phone icon shows up on the TFT I can turn on the headset.  The headset will now take priority on phone so calls will default to the headset instead of routing through the TFT where I can answer the phone or make a call, but I can't hear them and they can't hear me.  I have media control through the TFT for whatever app is playing.  I have the basic Nav control through the TFT to the BMW app, though I never use it, Waze works much better for me and since it supports voice controls I don't miss the WW.  I can make or receive calls through the TFT or voice commands.  Voice also allows me to send texts when I don't answer a call or listen to a text and reply if needed.  Pretty much everything I want.  Volume on the WW would be nice, but I have an easily accessible volume wheel on my headset so it's not something I miss.
Anyways, thought I'd share in the event that someone else has had issues making/taking calls where no one can hear anything.

Offline Skinneroo

• XR Pro
Reply #14 on: December 09, 2021, 05:36:07 AM
I dunno, I mean everyone can spend their money how they want, but with the only added functionality being wonder wheel support in the BMW app, I want to see a better app before I would consider buying the cradle.  If we're talking about someone with an older non-TFT bike that has an IMU then maybe it's cool because it adds features that we take for granted, but the TFT already displays or does everything I've seen the app capable of when in the cradle.  Still hoping they have more in store for us, feels phoned in so far.

Side note, somewhat related.  I didn't realize that BT connections are prioritized by the order they connect (dumb) and finally solved the issue of the actual phone call function defaulting to a connection with the TFT instead of my headset when making or receiving calls on the bike.  This doesn't fix the random times the bike looses the connection with the phone or headset which is rare with the current software version, but it does solve the last of my functionality issues in how everything works.
I have connections between all three devices.  The headset to phone connection ensures that I can use voice commands with the phone (hey Google).  I also make sure that the media outputs on both the TFT and headset channels.  Phone is always on, so bike on first.  Once the phone icon shows up on the TFT I can turn on the headset.  The headset will now take priority on phone so calls will default to the headset instead of routing through the TFT where I can answer the phone or make a call, but I can't hear them and they can't hear me.  I have media control through the TFT for whatever app is playing.  I have the basic Nav control through the TFT to the BMW app, though I never use it, Waze works much better for me and since it supports voice controls I don't miss the WW.  I can make or receive calls through the TFT or voice commands.  Voice also allows me to send texts when I don't answer a call or listen to a text and reply if needed.  Pretty much everything I want.  Volume on the WW would be nice, but I have an easily accessible volume wheel on my headset so it's not something I miss.
Anyways, thought I'd share in the event that someone else has had issues making/taking calls where no one can hear anything.

I never realised the order priority.
So isit the first or last to be connected that is prioritised

I have ordered the wunderlinq, as a Christmas gift for myself.
I will post a review when I get it set up.

Cheers for the info

Andy
Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 05:37:26 AM by Skinneroo

Offline rcb78

• XR Master
Reply #15 on: December 09, 2021, 04:55:54 PM
On my phone (S21+), the last device to be connected get's priority.  I can always override it once a call starts, but that means pulling over and messing with it.

Offline Skinneroo

• XR Pro
Reply #16 on: December 09, 2021, 07:43:48 PM
On my phone (S21+), the last device to be connected get's priority.  I can always override it once a call starts, but that means pulling over and messing with it.

Thanks rcb (what is your name}.?
P. S. If the wunderlinq doesn't work out, I'm blaming you for making me aware of it. 😂😂😂
Andy

Offline rcb78

• XR Master
Reply #17 on: December 10, 2021, 03:04:23 AM
*Originally Posted by Skinneroo [+]
Thanks rcb (what is your name}.?

It's Ryan.  I take no blame ;-) I just think it's more inline with what i think BMW should have done.  You might want to dig around the user forums for the Wunderlinq to see what users are saying about it.

Offline Skinneroo

• XR Pro
Reply #18 on: December 12, 2021, 10:38:41 AM

Not tested on the road yet, but it's looking positive 👍

Offline Mikey1

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Preston
Reply #19 on: December 13, 2021, 04:19:51 PM
looks good  :028:, you'll have to let us know how it performs on a test as be interested to hear your opinion. what phone are you mounting?

strongminded