Author Topic: Chain tension  (Read 254 times)

Offline WestonBend

• XR Member
Chain tension
on: November 23, 2021, 09:00:16 PM
I just checked the chain tension and it appears that it is on the threshold of needing an adjustment. My 900R is a 2021 model year and at 4200 miles/6800 km.This will be the first time I have adjusted it. I am curious if this a normal odometer reading for an initial adjustment or if others have done so earlier or later.  🤔   

Online rcb78

• XR Master
Re: Chain tension
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 09:37:17 PM
The very first adjustment on a new chain is usually within the first week or two.  Then maybe one more after a month or so.  After that it depends on conditions and how well you maintain it.

Offline WestonBend

• XR Member
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 10:06:17 PM
Thanks for the reply. I ride mostly in dry conditions and have been keeping up with cleaning & lubrication guidance in the owners manual. I am not sure if the dealer made any adjustment to it during the break-in service.

Offline motoinmoab

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Prescott
Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 02:54:29 AM
Most likely the dealer adjusted your chain at the first service.  I used to work at a moto dealership and that was something we always did to new bikes at their first service.  Always.  I've adjusted mine twice, once very early on and again at around 4,000 miles.  After the initial stretch during break in, you usually won't need to adjust it again for quite some time.  Keep it reasonably clean and lubed and a chain will last a very long time.
'21 F900XR and '17 R9T Scrambler
Old age has stolen my strength and skill.  I may have gained a little wisdom but it's not a fair trade.