Author Topic: Faded heel plate  (Read 385 times)

Offline DougD

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Sri Racha
Faded heel plate
on: November 22, 2021, 08:43:09 AM
Hi, My F900XR is an early 2020 model from the Thailand assembly facility (near where I live). The "plastic plates" that I guess could be called "heel guards" have faded rather markedly. It seems the material doesn't contain any UV protectant. What was once black (when new) is now a pale grey. (both sides) Is this normal? It looks a bit unsightly as the pieces surrounding it all retain a nice black finish albeit they are a different material. What do you think BMW will say if I request a warranty exchange assuming they have remedied this "quality issue"?

Offline Mikey1

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Preston
Re: Faded heel plate
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 01:29:28 PM
That is strange given the other similar items around it haven't faded (the black plastic panel above i'm guessing is the same material if you think its plastic) must admit i didn't think the heal plates were plastic and assumed it was the same material as the exhaust tip but obviously wrong on that assumption  :027:

I'd try to restore it before speaking to the dealer as it can be quite easy, a few old tricks which may help:

rub olive oil over it - works like silicone sprays etc but is easier and a natural product and restores the oil in the plastic.
run peanut butter over it - as above but smells better and this has worked a lot on a few old cars i've worked on (bloody mini cooper arches)
silicone sprays/trim restorer/heat gun all work well if the above don't.

if however they don't work and the dealer says no then its either buy new, wrap them or paint them
Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 02:23:35 PM by Mikey1

Offline Michwep

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Namur
Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 02:16:08 PM
Really strange, mine is from 05/2020, the piece is still very black, no discoloration.
However my motorcycle goes out in all weathers.
Ask your dealer to change them under warranty.

Offline patgm

• XR Pro
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 07:06:15 AM
*Originally Posted by DougD [+]
Hi, My F900XR is an early 2020 model from the Thailand assembly facility (near where I live). The "plastic plates" that I guess could be called "heel guards" have faded rather markedly...
Mine is a 2021 from the Berlin assembly plant but those heel plates are going a similar way, not as far along as yours but definitely no longer black and no amount of trim dressing seems to bring them back to black. I hadn't considered bringing it up as a warranty issue, but I might mention it at my next service.

Online rcb78

• XR Master
Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 03:28:30 PM
Mine looks a little chalky too but not enough to bother me.  Looks more like FRP than the regular plastic used everywhere else.
I haven't read the fine print in the warranty section, but I'm guessing normal wear and tear (weathering) is not covered provided the part is functioning as it should.  Let us know how it goes if you do try, who knows 🤷‍♂️
Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 03:29:04 PM by rcb78

Offline Milen Dimitr

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Varna
Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 08:53:21 PM
Mine is the same but only on the right because that is the side facing south when I park it at work. It's definetely UV discoloration. I am also surprised that it took only one season for it, but it is what it is. More annoyingly the grips are wearing out, again because of the sun exposure, and I know that the heated ones are difficult to replace.

Offline DougD

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Sri Racha
Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 11:50:41 PM
*Originally Posted by Mikey1 [+]
That is strange given the other similar items around it haven't faded (the black plastic panel above i'm guessing is the same material if you think its plastic) must admit i didn't think the heal plates were plastic and assumed it was the same material as the exhaust tip but obviously wrong on that assumption  :027:

I'd try to restore it before speaking to the dealer as it can be quite easy, a few old tricks which may help:

rub olive oil over it - works like silicone sprays etc but is easier and a natural product and restores the oil in the plastic.
run peanut butter over it - as above but smells better and this has worked a lot on a few old cars i've worked on (bloody mini cooper arches)
silicone sprays/trim restorer/heat gun all work well if the above don't.

if however they don't work and the dealer says no then its either buy new, wrap them or paint them

I attempted to get some color restoration with various oils, fluids and such all to no avail. I suspect paint wont work as my heel rubs on these plates and even my shoes show signs of wear from this contact. Oh well, I may have to live with it. I'll put it to my dealer but I doubt it will get much consideration.