Author Topic: Engine operating temperature? what's yours  (Read 382 times)

Offline arcticlife

• XR Member
Engine operating temperature? what's yours
on: October 07, 2021, 01:55:42 AM
Mostly out of curiosity, what engine temperature are you running at?  No stipulation I could find in the owners manual on general engine temps and I assume it will vary depending where/when/how you operate your bike.  In general, I run and average of 80-90 degrees commuting in cool to warm Canadian temps. 
2020 BWM F900XR (current)
2011 BMW K1300S (previous)
2008 BMW F800ST (previous)

Offline MotoJoro

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Sofia
Re: Engine operating temperature? what's yours
Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 07:45:42 AM
Out of the city exactly 83 Celsius.
In city - really depends of the traffic. Some car folks are not so cool with motorcycles and intentionally don't let us pass so temps can reach 100+ - turning on the fan.

Online WestonBend

• XR Newbie
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 04:48:03 PM
About the same. Bike generally stays in the mid 80s C with occasional rises based on warmer temperatures and city traffic.  Coolant level on a cold engine is right at minimum level. Dealer indicated these engines will usually eliminate any  coolant added above the minimum line.

Online rcb78

• XR Master
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 05:29:41 PM
I wouldn't count on that.  I topped mine up to the mid point at 1k miles, I'm now at 13k miles and haven't noticeably lost any and I've ridden in temps up to 111f on multiple occasions where my 'moving' temp was 196f (91c).  Coolant level has been very stable for me.
Min coolant temp is pretty stable because of the thermostat, that's it's job.  Max coolant temp seems to be controlled well by the fan even on those 110+f days when not moving, i.e. the fan cycles on and off like it should.

Online WestonBend

• XR Newbie
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 05:42:27 PM
*Originally Posted by rcb78 [+]
I wouldn't count on that.  I topped mine up to the mid point at 1k miles, I'm now at 13k miles and haven't noticeably lost any and I've ridden in temps up to 111f on multiple occasions where my 'moving' temp was 196f (91c).  Coolant level has been very stable for me.

That's good to know as I have been reluctant to top it off. It seemed like an odd statement and I am glad to hear your experience indicates otherwise.
Min coolant temp is pretty stable because of the thermostat, that's it's job.  Max coolant temp seems to be controlled well by the fan even on those 110+f days when not moving, i.e. the fan cycles on and off like it should.

Offline arcticlife

• XR Member
Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 12:21:16 AM
Thanks for the feedback and sharing your experience guys -  :763:

My coolant level reading has been at the minimum mark (checked when cold) and has not budged - just completed my 1k service last month, all is well and in expected range. 
2020 BWM F900XR (current)
2011 BMW K1300S (previous)
2008 BMW F800ST (previous)

Offline patgm

• XR Pro
Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 11:21:52 PM
My operating temp tends to stay at 187F(86C). In traffic it will reach 214F(101C) when the fan kicks on, the fan will typically bring it down to ~190F (88C) to 205F(96C) before turning off again, if I recall correctly.

*Originally Posted by WestonBend [+]
Dealer indicated these engines will usually eliminate any coolant added above the minimum line.

It's amazing the BS that some dealer techs will spread just to get out of 3 minutes of work or save 10 cents in consumables.

Mine was at minimum from factory, my dealer topped it up to halfway to max at the first service, it has been stable there for 10 months, ~4,600 miles.

strongminded