Author Topic: Full surround Screen Protector  (Read 369 times)

Offline Jggpossum

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Castle Hill
Full surround Screen Protector
on: September 24, 2021, 03:48:40 AM
It is tempting to purchase cheap accessories online and I have installed engine faring and radiator protector from a well known Chinese web site for a fraction of the price of German parts and they fit well, work as intended and look great.

But be wary of the attached screen protector which looks great but is made of aluminium (aluminum for my USA friends). It interferes with the signal between the TFT and my iPhone. I can make the connection but it wonít reliably transfer data so ride info is lost and speed limit is not displayed on TFT. As soon as I removed it I got normal connectivity. I was concerned that iOS 15 might have been to blame but it twigged that this was my first ride since putting the screen protector on. So donít waste your money.

Offline Happyman

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Kentís Store
Re: Full surround Screen Protector
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 01:07:41 PM
*Originally Posted by Jggpossum [+]
It is tempting to purchase cheap accessories online and I have installed engine faring and radiator protector from a well known Chinese web site for a fraction of the price of German parts and they fit well, work as intended and look great.

But be wary of the attached screen protector which looks great but is made of aluminium (aluminum for my USA friends). It interferes with the signal between the TFT and my iPhone. I can make the connection but it wonít reliably transfer data so ride info is lost and speed limit is not displayed on TFT. As soon as I removed it I got normal connectivity. I was concerned that iOS 15 might have been to blame but it twigged that this was my first ride since putting the screen protector on. So donít waste your money.

Good to know.  :763:

Offline patgm

• XR Pro
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 12:49:52 PM
Good info.  I had my dealer put on the BMW-branded screen protector when I picked the bike up, seemed like a huge ripoff since you can get aftermarket for as cheap as $10, but now that I've seen the screens that have the aftermarket protectors, I'm glad I paid up BMW's solution: absolutely no glare in any conditions, optically excellent, and seems to resist smudges and dirt better than others, and they put it on for me so I didn't have to worry about trapping air bubbles or getting it applied straight.  I added Cymarc's anti-theft brace overtop of it and I haven't noticed any interference with BT connections.

Offline patgm

• XR Pro
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 12:50:42 PM
*Originally Posted by patgm [+]
Good info.  I had my dealer put on the BMW-branded screen protector when I picked the bike up, seemed like a huge ripoff since you can get aftermarket for as cheap as $10, but now that I've seen the screens that have the aftermarket protectors, I'm glad I paid up BMW's solution: absolutely no glare in any conditions, optically excellent, and seems to resist smudges and dirt better than others. The dealer put it on for me so I didn't have to worry about trapping air bubbles or getting it applied straight.  I added Cymarc's anti-theft brace overtop of it and I haven't noticed any interference with BT connections.

strongminded