Author Topic: Pro dongle thing  (Read 445 times)

Offline figbat

• XR Member
  • Town / City: South Oxfordshire
Pro dongle thing
on: September 22, 2021, 09:33:13 PM
I received a small dongle in my pack of stuff today with the new bike.  Itís a [something] Pro dongle and apparently plugs into a connector somewhere to unlock some settings or something (you can tell I was listening hard when the bike was handed over!).

Any ideas?

Offline Kassu

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Bucharest
Re: Pro dongle thing
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 11:07:29 PM
Hope this video will help you: Enjoy the Pro mode of your new toy!
Annuit cúptis

Offline TheUDM

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Toronto
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 04:32:11 AM
I highly recommend to read the manual. You are not supposed to plug it in before a first service.

Online rcb78

• XR Master
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 06:17:53 AM
*Originally Posted by TheUDM [+]
I highly recommend to read the manual. You are not supposed to plug it in before a first service.

I see people say this from time to time and yet I have not been able to find any single official statement to back this up.  Care to post where in the owners manual it actually says that?  I've just searched mine in PDF format and can't find a single reference to that effect.
 There's nothing you can do to damage the engine during the break in period with the encoding plug installed that you can't without.  It's only going to unlock the ability to fully disable traction control and rear wheel ABS as part of the Dyn Pro riding mode.
Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 06:18:34 AM by rcb78

Offline figbat

• XR Member
  • Town / City: South Oxfordshire
Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 07:38:00 AM
I recall the sales guy said about not using it before the running in service. The post above is also the first explanation of what it does, because I can already select Dynamic Pro and configure it as shown in that video, so I didnít know what else it offered.

Offline MotoJoro

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Sofia
Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 07:55:20 AM
Couldn't find anything in my manual either.
Upon purchase my bike had all packages but dynamic pro mode was not enabled even after 2nd service.
Just after that I plugged the dongle and now I can configure it.

Offline Kassu

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Bucharest
Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 08:49:30 AM
My bike has the Pro mode activated (no dongle, just from the menu) by the dealer at 0 km on odometer when they have delivered the bike.
So, you can plug it in today and ride the sh#t out of it. This dongle myth is already busted.
Annuit cúptis

Online rcb78

• XR Master
Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 03:08:57 PM
At best I can see people thinking that is a easy to fool people into taking it easy during the break in process.  Even then, break in process is equally debatable.
The other thought is it's perpetuated by some dealers to get you to come back to them for service instead of doing it yourself or at an independent shop, and I have heard some claims from owners that make me this claim is more likely.  They say their dealers tells them that only they can install them plug during that service, total bs.
My dealer installed mine before I left with the bike on day 1 and they don't understand those claims either.

Offline TheUDM

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Toronto
Reply #8 on: September 24, 2021, 01:35:57 AM
*Originally Posted by rcb78 [+]
I see people say this from time to time and yet I have not been able to find any single official statement to back this up.  Care to post where in the owners manual it actually says that?  I've just searched mine in PDF format and can't find a single reference to that effect.
Yep, you are right - nothing about that in the manual.

strongminded