9 (28.1%)
It is bad, but I don't think BMW will care
16 (50%)
It is bad, let's try to reach out to BMW
5 (15.6%)
Blank (just want to see the result)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Are you happy with stock F900R/XR seat ?  (Read 1776 times)

Offline MotoJoro

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Sofia
Are you happy with stock F900R/XR seat ?
on: September 21, 2021, 07:43:56 AM
Hi guys, from reading the forum I haven't seen a single person not complaining about the stock seat.
The pricing of it is around 300 euro. Now I don't think BMW will do some reinbursement but at least they should aknowledge there is some major problem and try to solve it.
It's not normal to buy a brand new bike and the first thing to change is something so important!
Let's see where we go from here.

Offline Ethel Vanman

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Cambridge
Re: Are you happy with stock F900R/XR seat ?
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 09:47:46 AM
I think a more pertinent question is have you changed your seat, seems it would answer at least two of these points.
Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 09:48:28 AM by Ethel Vanman
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

Offline TheUDM

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Toronto
Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 02:24:22 PM
*Originally Posted by MotoJoro [+]
Hi guys, from reading the forum I haven't seen a single person not complaining about the stock seat.
You found one - me. Not that I'm very happy with it, but I can ride all day no problem.

*Originally Posted by MotoJoro [+]
It's not normal to buy a brand new bike and the first thing to change is something so important!
Quite normal for the modern bikes Į\_(ツ)_/Į

Offline IIlly

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Lancashire
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 06:56:28 PM
Spent £70 on a ComfortAir Seat Cushion from Sportsbikeshop and after 1000 miles or so I can report all is now well, made a huge difference.

Offline pxh

• XR Newbie
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 07:24:22 PM
Well Iíve had enough of the BMW low seat on my bike so Iíve just ordered a Wunderlich low seat. I donít understand how BMW can design and supply such an uncomfortable seat on an otherwise great bike.

Offline Stonesie

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Doncaster
Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 07:28:04 PM
I didn't like it after a couple of hours on the test ride so I have booked in at a motorcycle seat trimmer to have a gel insert fitted in the standard seat, the 2+ hour ride each way should highlight the difference :028:

Offline Kassu

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Bucharest
Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 11:54:14 PM
The higher seat is just ok for me. Definitely it's not built for comfort or long rides, but there is not so much difference between this one and the Suzuki OEM seats which I know very well from my previous three bikes (GS500, GSX650F and GSXS1000S). So, yes, in my case, I can live with it.
Annuit cúptis

Offline ArchietheDog

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Stirling
Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 09:22:20 PM
Changed the standard seat for a standard Wunderlich and difference is substantial. Local seat guy was fully booked For the foreseeable hence opting for the Wunderlich. 1 hour on the standard and it was uncomfortable , nearly 3 hours today on the Wunderlich and no issues. Wunderlich gets my vote albeit expensive.

Offline patgm

• XR Pro
Reply #8 on: September 26, 2021, 02:11:52 AM
*Originally Posted by TheUDM [+]
You found one - me. Not that I'm very happy with it, but I can ride all day no problem.
Quite normal for the modern bikes Į\_(ツ)_/Į

^This is where I'm at. the stock seat isn't something I love about the bike, but its deficiencies don't surprise me and haven't bothered me. I think it reflects where the F900R/XR sit in the BMW lineup, they're nice bikes, but not the most premium available. It seems like almost all motorcycle forums I've been on have frequent complaints about stock seats. I almost never like the look of aftermarket seats, they are usually heavily over-styled and look out of place.

Offline Stonesie

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Doncaster
Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 12:27:07 PM
From my own experience I wouldn't bother with a gel insert in the standard seat foam, that foam is just too hard. So hard that the seat trimmers foam saw really didn't like it.

It was worth a try just to see but now I'm going to wait until winter to get it re-done properly.
Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 12:37:41 PM by Stonesie