Author Topic: Oil level 😵  (Read 1017 times)

Offline Skinneroo

• XR Pro
Oil level 😵
on: August 28, 2021, 04:20:35 PM
Done 330 miles on brand new bike, checked oil and it's 3mm above minimum.
Admittedly, I should have checked it before, cos I don't know what it was to start with, but will keep an eye on it

Online rcb78

• XR Master
Re: Oil level 😵
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 06:33:05 PM
There's a long thread on this here, in nearly all cases it's been confirmed that the bikes ship and are serviced at the low line.  Feel free to top it up, but continue to keep an eye on it.  It will likely drop for a few thousand (or more) miles until it's done breaking in.  Mine took somewhere between 6k-8k miles to stop using oil and it's been solid since then.

Offline Skinneroo

• XR Pro
Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 06:41:20 PM
*Originally Posted by rcb78 [+]
There's a long thread on this here, in nearly all cases it's been confirmed that the bikes ship and are serviced at the low line.  Feel free to top it up, but continue to keep an eye on it.  It will likely drop for a few thousand (or more) miles until it's done breaking in.  Mine took somewhere between 6k-8k miles to stop using oil and it's been solid since then.

Cheers bud, that's a comfort, thanks. 👍👍🍻

Offline Skinneroo

• XR Pro
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 07:13:09 PM
Had the 600 miles service today and thought I would check the oil for reference purposes.
It's only about 6mm above the minimum mark.
That's checked on the centre stand, 5 minutes after switching the engine off.
Any comments please?

Offline brucedimon

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Fairfax, Virginia
Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 03:04:36 AM
The internal sump makes checking the oil level weird. The manual says to ride the bike, park it, let it idle until the fan starts, turn it off, wait 5 minutes, and then check the oil level. I did that Friday when I came home from work. The oil level was at the top of the dipstick range.
The night before, I shut the engine off as soon as I got home and did not let it idle. Five minutes later, the level was less than two-thirds of the range.
Just for fun, I checked it right now with a cold engine. It's at the half way mark.
I read an explanation on Facebook that the pump empties the sump into the oil pan when it's idling but fills the sump above idle. I hope that I remember that correctly. Skipping the step of idling until the fan comes on results in a much lower level on the dipstick. Weird.
Bruce
Northern Virginia, USA
F900XR

Offline Stonesie

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Doncaster
Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 02:04:06 PM
I saw a video on youtube of an oil change on one of these, a sump plug inside a sump plug :112:

Anyhow here's the page from the owners manual, I would have stuffed this up as with Triumph bikes you screw the dipstick in to get the level, apparently on this bike you don't.

To zoom in, Right click, open image in new tab, ignore my bruised thumbnail, I can't remember how that happened.
Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 02:06:55 PM by Stonesie

Offline Skinneroo

• XR Pro
Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 05:25:14 PM
All in all, it's a total faff.
Why not just have a cold engine level?
I'm going to add enough oil till it sits midway in faff mode.
Then check the level on the dipstick when cold.

This is what I'll check from then on.👍

Offline Jggpossum

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Castle Hill
Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 12:29:37 AM
It is a variable beast. I just had 10k service after having a stable oil level for the past 3k. Got home and measured oil level 10 minutes after stopping and it was mid way. Rode 200km and checked same way and it was just above bottom. Added 200ml and took it to midway. Checked later when cold and it was 3/4 way up. It didnít burn 200ml in 200km and this variability is simply the quirks of the bike. I will now check it when cold after each ride as I think that is probably the most consistent way to assess usage. I suspect 5 minutes after ride when hot there is still oil draining back down or the balance between upper and lower reservoirs is still out. As per manual I wouldnít however top up based on a low cold reading - use the hot level.

Offline Bubblehead

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Daytona Beach
Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 05:05:37 PM
Checked the bike's oil level today:
1.  Bike on side stand (12 deg lean, low suspension, hockey puck attached to side stand), engine cold: oil at full mark.
2.  Rear of bike on paddock stand, engine cold: oil at 1/2.
3.  Bike on paddock stand, run until 1 minute after fan came on (212 degs), waited 5 minutes: oil level just above Min mark.
Karl
2021 F900XR Low
2016 R1200RT

Offline Jggpossum

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Castle Hill
Reply #9 on: October 01, 2021, 10:28:58 PM
Yep thatís consistent with my experience. Measuring on side stand will obviously give a high reading as plug on down side. In fact I once left the dip stick plug loose and when I put the bike on side stand oil started leaking out the hole onto the ground.

Level on centre stand when hot appears at least 1/4 to 1/2 dipstick lower than when cold.

strongminded