Author Topic: Hello  (Read 713 times)

Offline Becksy

• XR Newbie
Hello
on: August 20, 2021, 10:10:34 AM
Hi everyone,
I do not own an F900XR! Yet. I have been the proud owner of an S1000XR for the last 4 years, fantastic bike, I do love it, but think I am getting a bit tired of the shouty 4 cylinder engine and fancy a change to a twin. No other bike piqued my interest until I saw the F900XR up close, so am thinking of making the change in the near future. Though I still haven't test ridden one.
Would be interested to hear from anyone else on the forum who has made that change from the S-XR to the F-XR, and how you found it. Particularly interested in feedback on the quick shifter and clutch. I hear that the quick shifter is a bit clunky and the clutch is a bit sharp.
Thanks and hello!

Offline Snatchy

• XR Pro
Re: Hello
Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 01:07:22 PM
Hi Becksy,

Welcome to the forum. I've ridden both, old and new 1000XR, and i prefer the 900, but everyone is different. What might suit one person, won't the next.

The best thing to do is take one out on a test ride and see what you think. It's much more tame than the 1000, but doesn't mean it hasn't got it's own wild side. Get the 900 on a B road through some twisties, whack it in 3rd gear and enjoy!

I absolutely love mine. Best bike I've owned.

Offline Saitama

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Hatogaya, Kawaguchi.
Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 11:54:49 PM
Welcome Becksy
Not the SXR,but close S1000R in fact I owned two, in two different countries.

For where I live now the S just too much unusable power in my opinion. And I found the engine to have no soul, just power and refinement. Yes everything works as it should. QS etc.

Now the F9XR different animal 😜, the engine has soul, and more importantly useable power.

My only issue and it's me not the bike, I wasn't really ready for a more upright riding position. But you moving form the big 4 to the twin will take to it like a duck to water 🦆.

Go ride one, but remember it's a twin not a 4...

Offline Royinspain

• XR Pro
Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 10:41:33 AM
Hi, and welcome. Don't know about others, but our forums and groups here in Spain have a lot to say about quickshifts and clutches.
Basically, forget quickshifts from 1st to 2nd gear. Passing through N doesn't work too well. Above that, fine once you get the knack. Going up the gears easier than down. Some have had it 'recalibrated' under guarantee.
Clutch: from cold it can be a nightmare, very harsh, lurching you forward from stationary. Some here have had complete clutch changes in guarantee. In my case, the first 1000km before 1st service were a nightmare. Impossible to get into N. Now its better. Clutch adjusted and realigned and much smoother. BMW know they have a problem here but like to deny it. So any problems, get onto them and insist.
Despite these teething problems, the bike is a joy to ride, great fun on the twisties and eats up the miles on the highways.
One last thing... Change the seat, it's like sitting on a brick!

Offline Saitama

• XR Pro
Reply #4 on: August 21, 2021, 12:41:15 PM
Neutral, never had a problem form new, and now 2500k on the clock, QS mmmmm, hardly ever use it.
My clutch has be fine also from new, never stalled it, just acts like a clutch should.

My only gripe is slow moving traffic, I mean walking speed, can't get a smooth flow, my K100 clutch fully out, would be happy a walking speed, very smooth indeed.. maybe that's the twin bit coming in to play.

Oh the seat...is it actually a seat!!!

Offline Becksy

• XR Newbie
Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 03:55:21 PM
Well I test rode the F-XR today for about 3 hours. Overall, I really liked it, better handling than my S, plenty of usable power, so didnít really notice it having much less power than the S, in fact Iíd say the power and torque profile of the F suits me better. Also really Easy to handle and move around, Iím not a big bloke, so the weight saving versus my 2016 S is very noticeable.
In response to some of the issues I have read about on the forum; the clutch is sharp, but not badly so once used to it. Caught me out when I first pulled away and i stalled it once, but didnít think there was a problem with it. The screen isnít great, but is easy to remedy so no issue. The seat, as we all know, is rock hard, but I chucked my Airhawk on and had no issues during my 3 hours. The position of the sat Nav is not good, but I know that can be remedied easily. I am concerned about the gap between the back of the seat and the plate holder, luckily road conditions were good today, but suspect that will throw loads of much up your back, and the rear hugger is tiny.
But, the big issue for me was the quickshifter. I want a quickshifter, but this was terrible. It may as well have not been fitted at all, it was that bad. Iíve had a GS is the past, and that is not known to be great quickshifter, but this was way worse. Night and day compared to my S. the quickshifter on the S is perfect, even works well between 1st and 2nd. Itís a real shame, as otherwise the gearbox on the F is nice and smooth.
Overall, I am really tempted, itís a fantastic bike, but the quickshifter issue could be a deal breaker for me, having been used to one that is so smooth on my S.

Offline Royinspain

• XR Pro
Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 04:31:38 PM
The quick shifter gets better with use...

Offline Saitama

• XR Pro
Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 05:31:24 AM
When you say S what are you referring...

I own the F-XR now just over 3300k on the clock, don't use the quick shifter, I don't ride it like a race bike, mostly short shifting, nice and smooth so my wife has a nice smooth ride on the back... My only complaint apart from the seat, is jerky throttle in very slow moving Tokyo traffic, 1st gear clutch fully out, fast walking speed it's terrible..have to keep feathering the clutch...

Offline Snatchy

• XR Pro
Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 08:59:30 AM
*Originally Posted by Royinspain [+]
The quick shifter gets better with use...
I would agree with that statement. But I'm not sure if the QS has got better with time, or I've adjusted my riding to it.

I have to say on full beans it's amazing going up through the gears.

Offline Stonesie

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Doncaster
Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 03:32:36 PM
 :400:
I love mine, the QS is a bit agricultural below half throttle but that's easy to ride around, just save it for when you are "On-it" then it's buttery smooth and great fun :156:

On my last ride with friends the 4 bikes split in to 2 pairs on tight and twisty roads, the XR and V-strom 1000 left the Z900 and 'Busa behind. The headline power figure is no good for bragging rights, but the power delivery is massive fun where it matters and the handling is great, probably the most boring measure on this bike is economy which is also excellent, on a 200 mile day with some good sport had with that V-strom it still averaged 55mpg :062:

Oh yeah, the seat, I had a gel pad fitted and initially dismissed it as not impressive, but on that 200 mile ride it was much better, the foam around it must be bedding in or it was just that it was all back roads which keeps you moving around.