Author Topic: Givi sat nav relocation/upper bracket  (Read 2816 times)

Offline patgm

• XR Pro
Re: Givi sat nav relocation/upper bracket
Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 10:43:14 PM
*Originally Posted by rcb78 [+]
The factory nav mount is vibration isolated, pretty significantly too so I wouldn't worry too much about it if you re-purpose the base bar.  Even then isn't this more of an Apple issue?  Do any Android phones have optical zooms with a variable focal length lens and not fixed?

Samsung's flagships have been using optical image stabilization since 2015, now even the cheaper Android phones have it standard. I messed up the sensors on an S6 and an S8 using a Ram X-grip before I realized what was going on, I really just thought they were getting old, worn out, succumbing to planned obsolescence. Both are still capable of taking a quality image, but the focus and stabilization is rough and unreliable, you can sometimes feel the mechanism moving/struggling when you're holding the phone and open the camera app. I think the factory nav cradle should be safe for my new phone, but I still avoid using it unless I really need the map to supplement the turn-by-turn. I've considered just downloading the maps to an old phone over wifi and using it as a permanent nav screen since a network connection is not required while riding, but I like having the app on my main phone for reviewing ride data occasionally, and obviously leaving a phone out in the sun or out in public isn't going to work for long.

Offline Luckyed

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Ashland, Oregon
Reply #11 on: November 26, 2021, 11:05:52 PM
Just adding that I got the Chinese knock off version of this mount off EBay for $30 USD. Looks identical, fits just fine. As said above, very easy to install.

Offline Saitama

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Hatogaya, Kawaguchi.
Reply #12 on: November 27, 2021, 12:41:51 AM
*Originally Posted by Luckyed [+]
Just adding that I got the Chinese knock off version of this mount off EBay for $30 USD. Looks identical, fits just fine. As said above, very easy to install.

:762:

So its recommended then? do you have a current link and photos of installed unit? :020:
 :763:

Offline patgm

• XR Pro
Reply #13 on: November 27, 2021, 07:34:45 AM
*Originally Posted by Saitama [+]
So its recommended then? do you have a current link and photos of installed unit?

https://www.amazon.com/R1200GS-Navigation-CRF1000L-Motorcycle-Charging/dp/B07ZM4KG1F
Here's the USB version that I have and would recommend if you already have the navigation preparation installed from factory and just want to use the existing cradle to display and charge your phone.  I don't have any photos currently, but it doesn't significantly change the look of the stock cradle.

There's also a wireless charging version that is ~2x the price, I haven't tried this, but it sound like it may struggle to charge a phone through a case, which would be a deal breaker for me.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FHWV5WQ/?coliid=I1E00YHCUBEOLM&colid=2AF2RRQ0BB84E

Offline Saitama

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Hatogaya, Kawaguchi.
Reply #14 on: November 27, 2021, 08:26:22 AM
Hi pathm, sorry I was after the bracket that relocates the BMW Garmin mount from handlebar to above the TFT. A cheaper alternative to the GIVI one.

Offline TheUDM

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Toronto
Reply #15 on: December 08, 2021, 02:52:33 PM
Any relocation solutions for the R?

strongminded