Author Topic: Taking my BMW F900XR on dirt roads  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Germanwind

• XR Member
  • Town / City: San Francisco
Taking my BMW F900XR on dirt roads
on: July 25, 2021, 01:21:05 AM
Yesterday I took my F00XR on a dirt road in the Santa Cruz mountains.  I would love to hear if any other owner has done that and what tips you have? 
I made a few modifications to the bike, like engine skidplate, lower footpegs, and handlebar riser to make it easier to stand up while driving. 
I did it on my Metzeler Roadtec 01 street tires.  The entire offroad adventure was about 10mls on a reasonable dirt road.  I figured that the ride mode 'Rain' would soften up the DSA and take out the aggressive throttle response.  In 1st and 2nd gear it felt absolutely doable and enjoyable.  Again I'm wondering if anybody has experience with some good hybrid tires or other tips I should be aware of.

Offline Mikey1

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Preston
Re: Taking my BMW F900XR on dirt roads
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 08:42:40 AM
not taken mine 'off road' but the last bike i had i did quite a bit and just did as you have done so far, pegs and bar positioning was key for me to get comfy but I did invest in crash bars for when the inevitable happens, if you're getting some bars ideally try and get some that keep the engine away from the floor as much as possible to save any cracked cases in the middle of nowhere  :028:

Online TheUDM

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Toronto
Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 01:31:46 PM
Fully stock F900R on stock road tires.

Just do it if you want to do it \_(ツ)_/
Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 01:33:01 PM by TheUDM

Online motoinmoab

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Prescott
Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 09:13:53 PM
I have the Metzler Roadtec 01 on my R9t Scrambler and have been on good dirt roads a lot with them.  Be reasonable, take it easy, don't act like you're on knobbies and you should be fine.  Turn around if the road goes to $#!+ on you.  The trade off with better dual sport tires wil be a loss of feel on pavement.  The Roadtec 01 is my favorite tire and I'm not willing to trade away their road manners.  I plan to explore dirt roads on my F900XR soon, just waiting for the mud to dry out first.

Remember that loose gravel, deep sand, and mud can take down any bike on any tires.  I love your muffler, looks so much better than the stock can.
Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 09:17:46 PM by motoinmoab
'21 F900XR and '17 R9T Scrambler
Old age has stolen my strength and skill.  I may have gained a little wisdom but it's not a fair trade.

Offline Germanwind

• XR Member
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 10:57:49 PM
*Originally Posted by motoinmoab [+]
Remember that loose gravel, deep sand, and mud can take down any bike on any tires.  I love your muffler, looks so much better than the stock can.

Thx very helpful advice.  I hear you and have deep respect for dirt roads.  I do not have crash bars and that might hold me mentally back doing the occasional offroad stint with my F900XR.
I love the SC Project can.  Sounds so much better.  It is not much louder than stock but it blubbers when getting off the gas, even with the DB killer installed.  I can only recommend it.

Online rcb78

• XR Master
Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 11:49:10 PM
*Originally Posted by Germanwind [+]
Yesterday I took my F00XR on a dirt road in the Santa Cruz mountains.

Summit/Loma Prieta?

Offline Germanwind

• XR Member
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 05:02:51 PM
Yes, it's an expansive area where the dirt road meanders through the mountains.  There is a stretch of a private road that connects the two ends of Summit Road.  My friend and I have been hesitant to drive through as there is a part private road with lots of warning signs, but after asking some locals they said that it is almost impossible for anyone to know if you have right to be on the road as there are so many houses around and they are doing is quite often. 

Online rcb78

• XR Master
Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 06:55:20 PM
Very familiar with the area, I've ridden it by bicycle more than a few times.  If you stay on the main road it is perfectly legal thanks to some settled lawsuits years (decades?) ago.  If you venture off the main dirt road then it's very hit and miss for what's actually on private property.  Same from the dirt section of Loma Prieta from Mt Bache back down to Summit near the general store.  Another public dirt road in the area is Buzzard Lagoon from the top of Hyland down to Corralitos.

Offline Germanwind

• XR Member
Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 07:28:34 PM
Thank you so much this is fantastic to know! :763:

Online rcb78

• XR Master
Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 08:33:41 PM
You're welcome.  The signs and gates are deterrents but have no legal standing.  All the residents I've come across up there have always been very friendly and will usually wave and say hi when greeted, but again, on the main road.  Venture off too far and approach a 'grow' facility and that friendliness can disappear.

strongminded