Author Topic: Taking my BMW F900XR on dirt roads  (Read 1305 times)

Offline rokenroll

• XR Newbie
Re: Taking my BMW F900XR on dirt roads
Reply #10 on: July 29, 2021, 02:05:51 AM
*Originally Posted by Germanwind [+]
Yesterday I took my F00XR on a dirt road in the Santa Cruz mountains.  I would love to hear if any other owner has done that and what tips you have? 
I made a few modifications to the bike, like engine skidplate, lower footpegs, and handlebar riser to make it easier to stand up while driving. 
I did it on my Metzeler Roadtec 01 street tires.  The entire offroad adventure was about 10mls on a reasonable dirt road.  I figured that the ride mode 'Rain' would soften up the DSA and take out the aggressive throttle response.  In 1st and 2nd gear it felt absolutely doable and enjoyable.  Again I'm wondering if anybody has experience with some good hybrid tires or other tips I should be aware of.

What kind of seat do you have?

Offline Ethel Vanman

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Cambridge
Reply #11 on: July 29, 2021, 12:15:43 PM
Looks like a Wunderlich, very comfy if it is.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

Offline Germanwind

• XR Member
  • Town / City: San Francisco
Reply #12 on: July 29, 2021, 06:19:03 PM
Yes it is a Wunderlich seat in the high version.  It is pricey, but man, what a difference to the standard seat.  I was on a 3 day trip to the North of California and only after 6-7hrs I felt discomfort.  Before with the standard seat, I was sore after 2hrs already.  I would buy it anytime again.