Author Topic: How to release clutch cable tension for lever installation  (Read 293 times)

Offline lvf900

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Las Vegas
Hello everyone,

I'm replacing my clutch lever and can't get enough cable out to slip on the new lever. On my other bikes, it was pretty easy to loosen a nut near the clutch to get more freeplay to install the lever. I don't see where do to this on my F900r with the quick shifter. Help is appreciated.

:763:

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
I was able to do mine by connecting the head to the lever and then pulling it hard enough to slip it into place.  What levers did you get?

Offline lvf900

• XR Newbie
Tried that but it's locked tight. What could be going on?

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
You're talking about replacing the lever on the handlebars right?  You release the cable up there, not down at the clutch arm on the engine.  If you can squeeze the lever, it's not locked, it's just hard to pull because you are pulling the housing back without the benefit of the leverage the lever provides.  It's hard but it can (and should) be done with just your hands.
Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 03:19:23 AM by rcb78

Offline lvf900

• XR Newbie
Yes replacing the clutch lever. After a garage tip over the lever snapped at the head so no leverage to pull it farther.

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
I don't see how the lever being broken matters.  You just dial the adjuster in and then pull on the cable housing to remove it from the adjuster.  There's really not that much to it.

Offline lvf900

• XR Newbie
Thanks.

And I forgot to answer your question about the levers. Here you go:

https://www.bellissimoto.com/parts/levers-master-cylinders/Rizoma-3D-Clutch-Lever-BMW-S1000RR-2020
Despite the reference to the 1000, in the supported vehicle list the 900 series shows.

strongminded