Author Topic: Are aluminum side cases too much for F900XR?  (Read 429 times)

Offline motohaze

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Seattle
Are aluminum side cases too much for F900XR?
on: May 03, 2021, 09:58:50 AM
Hi I'm looking into adding luggage to my 20 F900XR and I have to admit that I'm very drawn to the look of hard aluminum cases. In fact, Givi has an Outback adapter for F900XR and real product demo on F900XR: https://giviusa.com/collections/f-900-xr-20/products/plo5137cam-pl-one-fit-cam

However, I only see those cases on big ADV bikes like GS or Africa Twin. I am still a bit new to motorcycling - so wondering is there an unspoken rule of "aluminum side cases = big adventure bike"? Does the look of Givi outback cases matches F900XR?

Thanks!

Online cw000de

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Nuremberg
Re: Are aluminum side cases too much for F900XR?
Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 05:54:00 PM
Motorcycles are very much individual items. Many people do modifications to their bikes which I never would consider to do to with my own bike ;)

So, I would not hinder myself from adding an accessory because someone may say "this does not belong to that kind of bike".

Personally, I think these cases fit well to the XR, if you like them, just mount them and enjoy your trips :)

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 06:47:31 PM
2nd that.  If they are able to carry everything you want them to and you think they look good, then go for it.

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 11:28:53 AM
Ask 100 Bike owners and you'll get 100 different answers so do what you want and need and what you like.
Good Luck. :152:

Offline tcbezza

• XR Member
Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 07:50:59 AM
I have BMW panniers on my XR which are OK but a bit on the small side. In hindsight I would have gone for the ali panniers instead as they are easier to use and have better capacity. I still have a Givi Trekker top box that is likely to go on soon alongside the original panniers.

Offline motohaze

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Seattle
Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 08:29:41 AM
Thanks all! After much debate I pulled the trigger and ordered the panniers as pictured. Waiting for the rack to be delivered from Italy and the 36L side cases from Amazon!

P.S. For some reason, if you go to BMW USA website, F900XR is listed as an "adventure bike" alongside with all the GS bikes. Not sure what BMW is thinking haha.

Offline Royinspain

• XR Pro
Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 02:10:08 PM
I have a pair of Givi Trekker 37 litres on mine (plus a Trekker 52 topcase) and they are great. Hold loads of gear and look the part. Sold the crap bmw cases that I stupidly bought with the bike.

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 03:28:10 PM
*Originally Posted by motohaze [+]
Thanks all! After much debate I pulled the trigger and ordered the panniers as pictured. Waiting for the rack to be delivered from Italy and the 36L side cases from Amazon!

P.S. For some reason, if you go to BMW USA website, F900XR is listed as an "adventure bike" alongside with all the GS bikes. Not sure what BMW is thinking haha.

It makes sense when you consider the platform is the same as the F750GS and F850GS and they share many parts.  The only significant difference is the wheels are sized for road use, the suspension travel is even the same as the F750GS.  I would say that it is just a more powerful version of the F750GS but oriented towards pavement.

Offline arctrooper76

• XR Newbie
Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 06:09:18 AM
*Originally Posted by Royinspain [+]
I have a pair of Givi Trekker 37 litres on mine (plus a Trekker 52 topcase) and they are great. Hold loads of gear and look the part. Sold the crap bmw cases that I stupidly bought with the bike.

I have the Trekker 48L side cases with the Trekker 58L top case . Had them all on, filled with gear and stuff, plus my GF on the back. We just did an AZ/CO/UT loop trip from SoCal and the bike did just fine. Easily cruising at 80 - 85 mph and still getting  (except in the open desert where wind was blasting us) 40 - 45 mpg. The bike is a beast.

strongminded