Author Topic: Clutch and Quickshifter  (Read 898 times)

Offline Kozach75

• XR Newbie
Clutch and Quickshifter
on: April 17, 2021, 06:33:16 PM
So out riding today great day in athens.

My bike is equiped with a quckshifter and at low rpm when downshifting with the clutch ( not using the QS) when releasing the clutch, sometimes (not always) the lever is not so smooth. When the bike is idling or switched off the clutch is like butter, as smooth as it gets. In higher rpm no issues

I went by the dealer and he said this is normal, its how the qs works. Any ideas? bike has around 280km.

Thanks for the advice!!!

Online cw000de

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Nuremberg
Re: Clutch and Quickshifter
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 10:59:41 AM
I am not completely sure if you are talking about the clutch lever which does not operate as smooth as expected, or the switch lever.

In general, this should not be related to the QS when you are not using the QS in that situation. The QS is deactivated by any clutch operation during shifting.

What may be, that this is some impact of the original F900 clutch hardware which might be equipped to your bike, or maybe mis-adjusted freeplay of the clutch lever, which can cause the clutch not to open completely. Bike is manufactured 2021, right?

In what way it does not operate smooth, the lever itself or the bike hopping in the friction zone?

Offline Johndoe

• XR Newbie
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 11:02:01 PM
Πολυ κακη αγορα, εγω το πουλησα στην πρωτη εβδομαδα για busha

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 10:46:19 AM
Hi.  At 280 Km is much too early to know how your QS is working or your ability to shift properly. Why would you use your Clutch
to Down Shift. You only need to back off on the throttle and kick your gear shifter firmly down.  I only pull my Clutch in when I am
about to stop. I don't understand your problem and I don't understand why you don't let the bike do it for you.
Cheers Leon

Online cw000de

• XR Member
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 10:56:37 AM
my Quickshifter is not working at all operating points, so downshift with engaging the clutch is a essential use case which should work smoothly in any situation.

And QS is optional, so many F900 riders in fact have to rely on shifting manually involving the clutch.

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 11:03:12 AM
I give up. :020: :087: Are we talking about bikes with QS or ones without?

Online cw000de

• XR Member
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 11:43:24 AM
both the TO and me obviously have bikes that are equipped with QS.

But the problems described (the "clunky" clutch lever, which, honestly, I never noticed on my bike) are related to the clutch engagement, and should not be related to QS operation.

Offline rcb78

• XR Master
Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 03:31:18 PM
I sounds like he's describing some of the feedback you get in the lever from the new (or replacement) clutches where the slipper and assist features are actually working.  Based on what I've heard from other riders on other bikes (non-BMW) some slipper clutches give feedback through the lever.  Mine does after they replaced it last summer, but it doesn't actually affect how the bike works or how smooth the shift is, that's all determined by me and how I work the clutch. 

Online cw000de

• XR Member
Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 04:10:40 PM
ah, sounds plausible, that might be indeed some kind of feedback from the "anti-hopping" functionality. Thanks for the clarification!