Author Topic: New Member in Hampshire UK  (Read 698 times)

Offline geoffb

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Portsmouth
New Member in Hampshire UK
on: April 11, 2021, 12:06:00 AM
Hi all,

I have had my F900XR 2020 for nearly a year but have only done 3000 miles due to COVID restrictions.

I love the bike and have other bikes too but I have joined the forum for some help and guidance with some niggles I have with the bike, some of which have already been discussed here.  These are excessive engine rattle at 3000rpm (most noticeable at steady low speed), apparently my back brake light flickers and the back brake lever travel before biting is hard to get used to when I regularly ride other bikes.  Oh yes, and the standard seat may as well be a plank of wood.  :008:

Apologies for coming across as wingey on my very first post but I am falling out of love with the bike fast right now.  :003:

All the best

Geoff

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Re: New Member in Hampshire UK
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 08:17:22 AM
Welcome  Geoff.     I don't spend too much time at 3000RPM and I not sure what you mean by a engine rattle Do you mean a engine vibration? What gears does this rattle occur? 3000 RPM is a very low rev range to have this bike in so I am not sure how to answer
that question. My bike is not happy at that rev range but no issues at 3700RPM and upwards.
The brake Light Switch is too touchy but there are ways around that issue as mentioned on this Forum.
Yes the seat is much too hard. It does soften with time( Not Much) I have had mine modified by a trimmer. Lots of topics  on that issue
on this Forum.
Good luck.
Leon  :400:

Offline geoffb

• XR Newbie
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 06:46:47 PM
Hi Leon,

:763:

The rattle is like nuts and bolts being shaken in a can or like tappets that need adjusting on a 1980ís car.  I guess riding in traffic and through villages with a 30mph speed limit is when itís most noticeable and I have deliberately sampled when the rattle occurs as I go through the Rev range.  It seems to be consistent regardless of which gear the bike is in.

The bike is booked in with a local dealer for further investigation but I am slightly worried they wonít find anything wrong.   :012:

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 11:02:09 AM
That doesn't sound right. Oil level is ok? They should be able to find that sound.  Good luck Geoff. :028:

Offline geoffb

• XR Newbie
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 06:53:32 PM

Oil level is good but it has used approx. 500ml in 1000 miles  :084:
Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 06:54:34 PM by geoffb

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 02:14:11 AM
I have done 8500 Km and there is no need to top up the oil level. So my oil usage is minimal. In your case if it continues at this rate and your
services are 10000 Miles apart or 12 months you will need to use 5 litres of oil. That seems excessive. IMHO. :084: :110:

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 04:27:21 AM
A question for you, has it actually used that .5l of oil or was it just at the low line?  Based on what I've read, we all got our bikes delivered at just above the min line on the dipstick, which might make it look like it's .5l low when in fact it just came that way.

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 07:34:04 AM
You are right RCB.  My oil level has never been to the top mark. Closer to the low level mark instead but that level has not altered
on my bike and if it has it's been such a small amount that no top up has ever been needed. :028:

Offline Stealthrider

• XR Newbie
Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 02:15:12 PM
*Originally Posted by geoffb [+]
Hi Leon,

The rattle is like nuts and bolts being shaken in a can or like tappets that need adjusting on a 1980ís car.  I guess riding in traffic and through villages with a 30mph speed limit is when itís most noticeable and I have deliberately sampled when the rattle occurs as I go through the Rev range.  It seems to be consistent regardless of which gear the bike is in.

The bike is booked in with a local dealer for further investigation but I am slightly worried they wonít find anything wrong.   :012:

Is that Bahnstormer, Geoff?

Offline geoffb

• XR Newbie
Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 02:47:14 PM
I really appreciate all of your replies  :152:

The bike is going in to Bahnstormer next week and the oil consumption has been since the first service. I check the oil level by the book and not cold. It has actually used 750ml but 250ml was to get the level up to a benchmark so it has definitely lost oil somewhere.

strongminded