Author Topic: Rear brake light comes on too early and too often - adjustable?  (Read 952 times)

Offline gogs01

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Dundee
Due to illness, I havenít been able to investigate this issue, but the advice from LP17 and RCB78 looks useful - thanks to both.

Does this still leave the issue of excessive pedal travel to achieve adequate braking ?

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
That's relative...  I think it's just about perfect for me and where I position my feet on the pegs, just point my toe and I have pretty good control right up to the point ABS kicks in.  Disclaimer, I did replace the rear pads with a set of HH Sintered pads from EBC.  I'm not a fan of the stock organic pads BMW puts on the rear with some of their bikes.  I think that a single piston rear is a little on the weak side and the grabbier compound helps improve the feel.  I.E. I don't think there's too much travel, I think it's biting and there's just not enough 'grab' until you lean into it more with organic pads.
I should also add that the brake feel improved after I flushed/bled the brakes during my first service.

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Hi. That's an easy fix as there is adjustment on  actuating rod to give you more or less travel before the brake is actuated. It takes
5 minutes. :152:

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
Careful with that rod, it needs to have a little freeplay or you'll run into the problem I mentioned earlier.  Unless something is wrong, you likely already have the least amount of freeplay that is allowable.

Offline Stealthrider

• XR Newbie
The brake lever on my bike is not adjustable. The brake switch on my bike is not adjustable. I've never seen a switch mechanism like that on a motorcycle rear brake before, but there you go. It's entirely possible my GS was the same, but as I never used the rear brake on that in normal riding (the linked brakes operated by the front brake lever worked absolutely fine, so I only used the rear brake lever when doing slow speed work) I never had anyone tell me the brake light was coming on early and so I never noticed.

I've changed where I position my right foot by angling it to the right and solved my issue that way. I've been doing it for a while now and it's fine.

If those people who say it's easy to adjust the operation of the switch would be kind enough to post a photo or a diagram showing how they did it, I'd appreciate it. 👍

strongminded