Author Topic: Helmet Security Hooks for D-Ring Helmets $20 for a pair  (Read 664 times)

Offline Mikey_Boy

• XR Newbie
Hey all! 

I was bummed there was no easy way to leave my helmet with my bike when out on a ride and I wanted to go to a restaurant or something, so I started thinking on how to solve the issue.  I've looked around and found a couple solutions out there, one of which is over $100 USD!  This also was a separate lock and a cable that I had to lug around.

So I started tinkering, and came up with a solution.  These hooks mount to an existing bolt under the seat and the D-ring simply slides over the hook and with the seat back on and locked, the helmet is secure!  This took me quite a bit of time getting all the measurements just right and I am very happy with the result.

Here are some pics of the hooks and how they mount and work.

I'm asking $20 USD per pair shipped in US and international will just have to pay actual shipping.

Offline RedHedRacer

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Vancouver, BC
Re: Helmet Security Hooks for D-Ring Helmets $20 for a pair
Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 05:43:29 AM
What a great solution, simple and easy. Beats bringing a top box or other cable type systems. I知 using a $1,100 CDN Carbon System 7 helmet by Schubert, and like you, want a simple system. My old Honda VFR had a simple d-ring shaped lock under seat for same. Good old BMW, missing a simple item from an otherwise great bike!
Where you located in US? I may opt to buy from you, I知 on west coast, in Vancouver, BC Canada. :047:

Offline Mikey_Boy

• XR Newbie
Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 05:52:29 AM
Thanks for kind words!  I知 located near Sacramento, CA, so not too far.  Let me know and I値l get a shipping quote.  These are very light weight and shouldn稚 cost much.

Offline RedHedRacer

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Vancouver, BC
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 02:37:44 PM
Great, I値l DM you with address and details. What material is made from? Is it 3-D 叢rinted or fabricated from metal?

Offline Mikey_Boy

• XR Newbie
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 03:21:07 PM
*Originally Posted by RedHedRacer [+]
Great, I値l DM you with address and details. What material is made from? Is it 3-D 叢rinted or fabricated from metal?

It痴 3D printed with ABS and is solid.  These things are strong.

Offline brucedimon

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Fairfax, Virginia
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 03:11:16 AM
I installed these and they work well. Mikey_Boy provided clear instructions with clear pictures.

Each helmet holder is easily installed by removing one screw.

It is easy to remove the seat and lock the helmet.

If the panniers are installed, I use an extension cable with loops on both ends. This is left over from my last Honda. In this picture, each loop is on its own helmet holder.

Very pleased with the purchase. It fits perfectly and works as advertised.
Bruce
Northern Virginia, USA
F900XR

Offline Dilzman

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 12:57:01 PM
Got mine and installed them in minutes.  Works great, thanks Mike!

strongminded