Author Topic: Lowering 900XR with Wilbers Suspension  (Read 726 times)

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Lowering 900XR with Wilbers Suspension
on: March 23, 2021, 03:58:46 AM
Hi,.
I have had the bike lowered 50 mm or 2" inches. The whole bike is sitting lower and suits my height. I am 5'5" and now flat footing
comfortably.
The rear suspension works fine with the ESA Dynamic set up which still operates through the normal suspension button on the handle bars.
The front does not have any adjustments so its similar to the standard bike set up. The springs used for both front and rear are compliant
to your weight which seems fine to me. The bike is 50mm lower and I am scraping the foot pegs more often through the same corners as I did before the lowering was carried out, which to me was expected. BUT I must say that now this bike scrapes to the same degree as my standard BMWR 1200RS. So I am not surprised or disappointed.
The other good result is that these Shokers still give a better ride than my R 1200 RS ever did. So to me this whole exercise has been
a good result.
The short Side Stand is working OK .It would be perfect if it was 10-15mm shorter but I can live with it.
The Centre Stand had to be removed.
I have been given all the old parts so the bike could go back to standard with out too much fuss and the Centre Stand re fitted. 
Hope that helps. Cheers Leon 

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Re: Lowering 900XR with Wilbers Suspension
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 02:35:58 PM
Did you get the Wilburs shock that's adjustable?  I think they make one with compression adjustment and even a way to tweak the rebound range that the ESA uses.  I'm interested in one that's standard height at some point to match the adjustable fork cartridges I have.

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 02:00:14 AM
In a word. Yes. :028:

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 03:05:15 AM
Pics?

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 10:09:17 AM
Hi.

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 03:50:43 PM
Thanks, last question.  Compression adjustment should be pretty straight forward on the remote reservoir, but how do you make changes to the rebound range that's controlled by the ESA?

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 09:39:51 AM
Exactly as you would with the original system. :028:

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 03:27:52 PM
What i mean is that I thought there was a way to adjust the range that the ESA operates in.  Say for example that I want both the Road and Dynamic modes to have increased damping function, with the stock system you're stuck with the factory preset values.  I was under the impression that you could make an adjustment on the shock itself to increase or decrease rebound damping independent of the ESA mode.  Is that right?

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 07:55:01 AM
If you look at the last photo it shows  a blue button which does have further adjustments. If you look at their web site it may even give you
more details. :152: