Author Michelin GT tires on the XR  (Read 8737 times)

• Offline patgm   us

• XR Pro  ‐    149

Offline patgm

• XR Pro
    Re: Michelin GT tires on the XR
    Reply #30 on: January 19, 2022, 07:15:59 pm
    January 19, 2022, 07:15:59 pm
    *Originally Posted by rcb78 [+]
    2CT+ narrows the hard rubber strip in the middle and gives more soft rubber at the shoulders.  Additionally, the harder rubber in 2CT+ runs the full width of the tire with the soft rubber on the surface.  2CT had the compounds run full depth.  Good image detailing this on page 2 here.
    This is good info, I called Michelin twice while I was shopping for tires and neither rep could tell me what the difference was between 2CT and 2CT+, or the difference in compounds (carbon black and silica content) between the Road 5 and Power 5. All they knew was more miles and better siping on the Road, less miles and more dry grip on the Power. Really nice people, but pretty limited knowledge. I called Revzilla and their gear guide expert claimed with confidence that the compounds in the Road and Power are the same since they are both 2CT and 2CT+, and that the only difference was the siping and land/sea ratio. I knew this was pretty unlikely to be true, but I just politely thanked him and moved on.

It would be nice if the tire manufacturers were a bit more up front with the technical information, most of what is out there is marketing fluff.

• Online Ansau   es

• XR Newbie  ‐    7

Online Ansau

• XR Newbie
    Reply #31 on: January 21, 2022, 05:07:13 pm
    January 21, 2022, 05:07:13 pm
    *Originally Posted by patgm [+]
    This is good info, I called Michelin twice while I was shopping for tires and neither rep could tell me what the difference was between 2CT and 2CT+, or the difference in compounds (carbon black and silica content) between the Road 5 and Power 5. All they knew was more miles and better siping on the Road, less miles and more dry grip on the Power. Really nice people, but pretty limited knowledge. I called Revzilla and their gear guide expert claimed with confidence that the compounds in the Road and Power are the same since they are both 2CT and 2CT+, and that the only difference was the siping and land/sea ratio. I knew this was pretty unlikely to be true, but I just politely thanked him and moved on.

It would be nice if the tire manufacturers were a bit more up front with the technical information, most of what is out there is marketing fluff.

Carbon black and silica are additives, so 2 tires could have them but in different quantities. The best way to represent would be as a % of these additives included.
    Metzeler does it for example , their latest top of the line (roadtec, m9rr, tourance next 2) fronts have 100% silica, while rears have 100% silica in the center and 80% silica in the shoulders. They don't include % of carbon black tho.

Moreover, 2CT+ runs a thin layer of hard compound under soft compount in the shoulders, while 2CT has only soft compound in shoulders. In theory, 2CT+ should provide more rigidity and stability while leaned...

• Offline patgm   us

• XR Pro  ‐    149

Offline patgm

• XR Pro
    Reply #32 on: January 21, 2022, 05:34:40 pm
    January 21, 2022, 05:34:40 pm
    *Originally Posted by Ansau [+]
    2CT+ runs a thin layer of hard compound under soft compound in the shoulders, while 2CT has only soft compound in shoulders. In theory, 2CT+ should provide more rigidity and stability while leaned...
    Thanks, yeah I got that from the document RCB sent. I was just surprised that after talking to three different people whose work involves answering tire questions, that 0 of 3 were able to describe what you just described.
    *Originally Posted by Ansau [+]
    Carbon black and silica are additives, so 2 tires could have them but in different quantities. The best way to represent would be as a % of these additives included.
    Right, I'm familiar with what they are, what they do, and how they're measured.  The reason I contacted Michelin about them is that in their marketing materials for the Power 5 they include the graphic below, but there is no corresponding information for the Road 5. Having this information about each tire you're considering would provide a slightly more objective estimation of the differences in their characteristics than just the testimonials of others, which vary dramatically. The graphic here is also somewhat poorly designed, and could use some clarification.

• Offline Jggpossum   au

• XR Pro  ‐    180

Offline Jggpossum

• XR Pro
    • Town / City: Castle Hill
    Reply #33 on: July 03, 2022, 02:54:11 am
    July 03, 2022, 02:54:11 am
    Has anyone had any experience with a set of Michelin Road 6 tyres yet? I replaced my original  Road 5GT with Road5 back in February, about a week before the Road6 hit the shelves here. Wondering if I should have waited a couple of weeks. I certainly find the Road5 more controlled and yes "supple" than the 5GT.

• Offline rcb78   us

• XR Master  ‐    924
    • Topic Author

Offline rcb78

• XR Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #34 on: July 03, 2022, 05:17:27 am
    July 03, 2022, 05:17:27 am
    Yes, but no.  I just had a set mounted today thanks to a chunk of glass in the rear tire.  My experience consists of "yup, they look nice" and that's about it 😉.
    These are my 4th set of tires in just under 20k miles 🫤.  The first set of Road 5GTs went about 8k.  Every other set suffered a rear puncture prematurely and i opted to toss a fresh front in at the same time.
    When I bought the bike they offered a wheel and tire warranty that replaces either in the event of damage.  Tires need to still have at least 3/32" (2.5mm) of tread to qualify for a replacement.  I am making out like a bandit right now with 3 free rear tires.  1 sheet metal screw, 1 razor blade and now a piece of glass.

• Offline Jggpossum   au

• XR Pro  ‐    180

Offline Jggpossum

• XR Pro
    • Town / City: Castle Hill
    Reply #35 on: July 03, 2022, 10:00:15 am
    July 03, 2022, 10:00:15 am
    My advice… stop riding in Lowes car park.  :001:
    Give us an update on your impressions when you’ve had a decent ride.
    Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 10:05:16 am by Jggpossum

• Offline Royinspain   es

• XR Pro  ‐    222

Offline Royinspain

• XR Pro
    Reply #36 on: July 04, 2022, 12:18:27 pm
    July 04, 2022, 12:18:27 pm
    *Originally Posted by Jggpossum [+]
    Has anyone had any experience with a set of Michelin Road 6 tyres yet? I replaced my original  Road 5GT with Road5 back in February, about a week before the Road6 hit the shelves here. Wondering if I should have waited a couple of weeks. I certainly find the Road5 more controlled and yes "supple" than the 5GT.
    Waiting for a valid answer.....

• Offline Piks   ch

• XR Member  ‐    33

Offline Piks

• XR Member
    Reply #37 on: July 05, 2022, 08:31:52 pm
    July 05, 2022, 08:31:52 pm
    I've got new Road 6 GT recently fitted to my bike (previously I had Road 5 GT - stock). However, I am too new into riding to notice difference, plus the change was right after winter "hibernation", and it has been only barely 500km after the change - sorry, no real feedback, or at least I haven't noticed anything worse yet, for sure.

• Offline w6dtw   us

• XR Member  ‐    13

Offline w6dtw

• XR Member
    • Town / City: Aptos
    Reply #38 on: July 10, 2022, 10:54:55 pm
    July 10, 2022, 10:54:55 pm
    *Originally Posted by Jggpossum [+]

I picked up a deck screw in my stock Road 5 GT rear and couldn't get a patch kit to stick, so I replaced it.  The shop said Michellin is discontinuing the Road 5 GT, and they had a Road 6 GT on hand.  I've only put 100 miles on it, and have been slowly breaking it in.  So far it seems like a good tire - feels a bit less harsh than the Road 5 GT.

...dtw