Author Topic: Michelin GT tires on the XR  (Read 6269 times)

Offline patgm

• XR Pro
Re: Michelin GT tires on the XR
Reply #30 on: January 19, 2022, 07:15:59 PM
*Originally Posted by rcb78 [+]
2CT+ narrows the hard rubber strip in the middle and gives more soft rubber at the shoulders.  Additionally, the harder rubber in 2CT+ runs the full width of the tire with the soft rubber on the surface.  2CT had the compounds run full depth.  Good image detailing this on page 2 here.
This is good info, I called Michelin twice while I was shopping for tires and neither rep could tell me what the difference was between 2CT and 2CT+, or the difference in compounds (carbon black and silica content) between the Road 5 and Power 5. All they knew was more miles and better siping on the Road, less miles and more dry grip on the Power. Really nice people, but pretty limited knowledge. I called Revzilla and their gear guide expert claimed with confidence that the compounds in the Road and Power are the same since they are both 2CT and 2CT+, and that the only difference was the siping and land/sea ratio. I knew this was pretty unlikely to be true, but I just politely thanked him and moved on.

It would be nice if the tire manufacturers were a bit more up front with the technical information, most of what is out there is marketing fluff.

Offline Ansau

• XR Newbie
Reply #31 on: January 21, 2022, 05:07:13 PM
*Originally Posted by patgm [+]
This is good info, I called Michelin twice while I was shopping for tires and neither rep could tell me what the difference was between 2CT and 2CT+, or the difference in compounds (carbon black and silica content) between the Road 5 and Power 5. All they knew was more miles and better siping on the Road, less miles and more dry grip on the Power. Really nice people, but pretty limited knowledge. I called Revzilla and their gear guide expert claimed with confidence that the compounds in the Road and Power are the same since they are both 2CT and 2CT+, and that the only difference was the siping and land/sea ratio. I knew this was pretty unlikely to be true, but I just politely thanked him and moved on.

It would be nice if the tire manufacturers were a bit more up front with the technical information, most of what is out there is marketing fluff.

Carbon black and silica are additives, so 2 tires could have them but in different quantities. The best way to represent would be as a % of these additives included.
Metzeler does it for example , their latest top of the line (roadtec, m9rr, tourance next 2) fronts have 100% silica, while rears have 100% silica in the center and 80% silica in the shoulders. They don't include % of carbon black tho.

Moreover, 2CT+ runs a thin layer of hard compound under soft compount in the shoulders, while 2CT has only soft compound in shoulders. In theory, 2CT+ should provide more rigidity and stability while leaned...

Offline patgm

• XR Pro
Reply #32 on: January 21, 2022, 05:34:40 PM
*Originally Posted by Ansau [+]
2CT+ runs a thin layer of hard compound under soft compound in the shoulders, while 2CT has only soft compound in shoulders. In theory, 2CT+ should provide more rigidity and stability while leaned...
Thanks, yeah I got that from the document RCB sent. I was just surprised that after talking to three different people whose work involves answering tire questions, that 0 of 3 were able to describe what you just described.
*Originally Posted by Ansau [+]
Carbon black and silica are additives, so 2 tires could have them but in different quantities. The best way to represent would be as a % of these additives included.
Right, I'm familiar with what they are, what they do, and how they're measured.  The reason I contacted Michelin about them is that in their marketing materials for the Power 5 they include the graphic below, but there is no corresponding information for the Road 5. Having this information about each tire you're considering would provide a slightly more objective estimation of the differences in their characteristics than just the testimonials of others, which vary dramatically. The graphic here is also somewhat poorly designed, and could use some clarification.