Author Topic: Michelin GT tires on the XR  (Read 2146 times)

Online rcb78

• XR Master
Re: Michelin GT tires on the XR
Reply #10 on: October 14, 2021, 05:37:51 PM
They are much better.  I've been on them for the last 5k miles and see no reason to experiment with other tires for the time being.  They are comfortable, give good feedback and do everything I ask of them.  Essentially they are a better tire than I am a rider on public roads and anecdotally they are probably the best all-purpose tire in the rain, challenging many rain specific tires.

Offline Burnie10

• XR Member
Reply #11 on: October 21, 2021, 03:23:42 PM
I'm just about ready to change my tyres as I'm on 7000 miles now.  As someone's already said, the R5GT's are for the massive loads the bike can carry, almost double that of the Tracer 900. As I'm only a lightweight person & will only ever ride it solo, I'm going to give the standard R5 a go.  I only had standard ones on my 1260 Multistrada & they were fine on that bike. I did try the multi on RT01's as well & got almost identical miles to the Road5, but they were noisier. Road5's are the way to go from my experiences.

My only question ....
Is anyone else experiencing the same as me, in that both front & rear tyres seem to be wearing out at the same rate.  The bike's just come back from the 6000m service, with the health check stating 2.2mm tread depth at both ends? I was surprised, but on checking myself they're right. I've always, without fail got two rears to every front tyre in the past 40+ years of riding! 

Online rcb78

• XR Master
Reply #12 on: October 21, 2021, 04:42:56 PM
Yes, it seems that many modern sport touring tires (emphasis on sport) wear pretty evenly front to rear.  The benefit is better traction up front (hence sport) but you'll go through fronts more quickly.  I don't really mind because it means a matched set each time and who doesn't like the feel of fresh rubber all around  :047:

Offline Shadey

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Middlesbrough
Reply #13 on: October 22, 2021, 02:48:31 PM
I'm pretty much in same situ as Burnie except mine came with Battlax sport tourer T30's on which seem to be a tad 'hard' ride, anyone else on here with these that have replaced and noticed a decent difference ?
I appreciate that tyre choice is retrospective and debatable, I'm not looking for debate on personal choice just a bit of feedback if anyone has moved from battlax.
Cheers

Offline PhilippeUSAG

• XR Member
Reply #14 on: October 22, 2021, 08:14:58 PM
Same for me:
4,100 miles change both

Offline Jggpossum

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Castle Hill
Reply #15 on: November 19, 2021, 10:19:40 PM
Good thread. As a relatively inexperienced rider the descriptions here of the R5GT matches my experience. Rear end can be just slightly skittish on rough surfaces and particularly on a series of ripples in a corner. Nothing alarming just surprised me that I felt it despite the bike being so well behaved under virtually all other conditions. Makes sense they are tuned for heavier touring loads.