Author Topic: Wrapped F900R  (Read 584 times)

Online Mikey_Boy

• XR Newbie
Wrapped F900R
on: March 08, 2021, 05:05:58 PM
When I decided on the F900R, the primary goal was to find with with ALL the options (Dynamic Pro, ABS Pro, Ride Modes Pro, etc).  They had one at my local dealer but was in the red/gray color (not too fond of).  The problem is, even if I could find one in black/gray with the options, the wheels and shocks aren't the colors I like as I like those parts better on the red one.  Meh

Solution was to get the red one and vinyl wrap it in the colors I like.  I chose 3M 2080 in Matte Black Metalic and Matte Gunmetal Metalic.  It was a pretty complex wrap job, but I'm very happy with the result.

Anyone else wrap their bike?  What was the experience?

Offline Kwiedo

• XR Member
Re: Wrapped F900R
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 05:43:51 PM
Nope, i used plasti-dip on some parts of the XR  :002:

Offline Toca Codo

• XR Member
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 12:24:55 PM
Hi Mikey,

I too have just recently wrapped my F900R.  I was getting tired of looking at pictures on Instagram of the same red bike (the one I have) and I have always wanted to try wrapping something.  I too bought 3M 2080 and I must admit I thought it was going to be easier than it was, the blades were super difficult, but I learnt a lot from the experience. I was actually going to do the same colour scheme you did but went for brushed steel blades and the tank stripe is a shade darker in metallic.  I think the bike looks great, I took the stickers off too, there are a few areas I am not happy with, but I am going to change again in a few months or so as I have a better understanding of how to do it now.  Yours looks very good, I would be interested to know if you had a problem with the recess line on the blade and how you wrapped that area. I have attached some pics of mine.

Cheers
Toco

Online Mikey_Boy

• XR Newbie
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 03:56:56 PM
Hey Toca,
The upper fairing that the blade connects to was the hardest part for me.  Ended up having to do a seam to get it right.
I did the same for the blade - did it in two pieces with the seam running down the recess.  That way I didn't have to go in and out of the recess.  It's not perfect, but you can only really tell if you get in close.  I also used 3M 2080 film :)

Yours looks great!  And feel good that after this wrapping a car would probably be no problem

Offline Toca Codo

• XR Member
Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 04:07:10 PM
For me the hardest part was the corner of the blade below.  I think your colour scheme looks great, and you did a lot more wrap than me.  Have you wrapped before?  I must admit I found it frustrating and time consuming but happy with the result.