Author Topic: Aftermarket seats  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Blake

• XR Newbie
Aftermarket seats
on: February 18, 2021, 03:00:57 PM
As most of us know the F900R seat is plank like. My butt is numb within an hour. UGH. Any of the usual aftermarket seat companies making seats to replace the stock seat  thanks, Blake

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Re: Aftermarket seats
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 03:31:36 PM
The only one I know of is Wunderlich, someone on this forum has it.  Based on their post I wasn't impressed, certainly not for how expensive it is.  There's the BMW Comfort Seat which is much better than stock.  Reviews are generally favorable, though it didn't work for me and I've got one for sale in the classified section.
The only other options are custom and semi custom.  Semi custom is the way I went, I bought a seat cover made for the bike and reshaped my stock seat to my liking.  Full custom would involve finding a local seat upholstery shop that will reshape your seat and fit a custom cover to it.
Expect to spend anywhere from a couple hundred on up for these options.

Online Happyman

• XR Pro
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 04:35:12 PM
*Originally Posted by rcb78 [+]
The only one I know of is Wunderlich, someone on this forum has it.  Based on their post I wasn't impressed, certainly not for how expensive it is.  There's the BMW Comfort Seat which is much better than stock.  Reviews are generally favorable, though it didn't work for me and I've got one for sale in the classified section.
The only other options are custom and semi custom.  Semi custom is the way I went, I bought a seat cover made for the bike and reshaped my stock seat to my liking.  Full custom would involve finding a local seat upholstery shop that will reshape your seat and fit a custom cover to it.
Expect to spend anywhere from a couple hundred on up for these options.
I too went with the “comfort seat” and found it much better than stock, but not quite right for me. It still pushed my into the tank and required a few other tweaks. So, I took my stock seat to a local guy who makes custom motorcycle seats (he’s an upholsterer that also does cars, boats and furniture). He modified the foam, carved it up a bit, added some here and there and gave it back to me to try before he does a new cover. After a short ride it needed one more tweak, and is now perfect! He’s doing a new, custom cover with the “XR” and BMW logo embroidered on the cover. Once I get it back I’ll post some pics.
Estimated cost is $350.
Then my “comfort seat” will also be for sale  :002:.

Offline Blake

• XR Newbie
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 05:35:37 PM
Hey thanks for replying everyone. Looks like the only option is to modify my original seat. I’ll have to scout up an upholsterer here in NY.

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 05:53:04 PM
My only complaint with the comfort seat was some tailbone pressure that crept up after about 3hrs or so on the bike but I think that's more of a 'me' issue because I've had this problem on almost all of my bikes.  I was really tempted to modify the comfort seat because it was pretty good in all other respects, but since I already had the tools and materials, it made more sense to carve up and repad the stock seat.  That way if I messed it up it wouldn't matter, I mean it already sucked  :008:, it wasn't going to get worse. 

Online Rinkydink

• XR Pro
Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 04:54:45 AM
Check out Russell Day Long seats. I have the Sport seat on order. Not cheap and have to ship your seat pan to them to build on. Takes two weeks or so. Nothing better. This is my fourth one.
Watch out for blue haired women in big cars.

Offline Astro

• XR Pro
Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 09:23:27 AM
Does Mr. Wog do an XR seat? I'm an Aussie, but I had one shipped out from the U.S. for my zrx1200. Brilliant job. Might be worth looking into if in Merica.👍

Offline Polo

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Encamp
Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 08:00:18 PM
www.lolopamanes.es
This one in Spain does real wonders. But it is not cheap. More than 400 dollars. :013:

Offline CWMC29

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Windsor, ON, CND
Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 09:45:03 AM
I did a little work over this winter on my BMW original seat.  I carved out the middle, rounded the sides, took out the wings at the back of the seat, lowered the seat about 1.5 inches and installed a gel pad.  I then took the seat to The Trim Shoppe in Windsor, ON and had Pete do his work.  It's flatter and a little more dished at the back.  Just need the weather to break so I can ride the bike and see how the seat truly is.

Offline Jggpossum

• XR Member
Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 10:03:54 AM
Got my seat customised today by MJM Custom seats in Goulburn NSW. Two hour ride from Sydney but Mick did the job while I waited. He is a true craftsman and magician. Important thing was he looked at my 190cm height (6’4”) and the padding I had been using to attain a half reasonable height. But more importantly the position of the back support was too far forward resulting in me, like many others, sliding down and forward into the tank.

The end result is nothing short of miraculous. I rode back for 2 1/2 hours non stop without any but pain. It also looks a treat.

Seat is much flatter and about 4cm higher plus the back support has been moved back about 5cm. Also wider at the point of contact so feels like a seat rather than a bicycle but crack device. Pillion seat is therefore a bit smaller but a necessary compromise. Firm but lots of give and moulds nicely to the derrier.

Can’t speak strongly enough about the benefits of custom mods verses another aftermarket seat. They cost about the same here, in fact the custom is a bit cheaper The standard seat is awful for lots of reasons no matter how tall or short you are. Horrible sloping forward shape, no cushioning at all. So to buy another seat in the hope it will correct comfort issues is Russian roulette.
Only problem for anyone in NSW wanting an MJM mod is the lead time is many months. But worth it!!!

Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 10:13:02 AM by Jggpossum

strongminded