Author Topic: Custom painted fairings  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Dilzman

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Chapel Hill, NC
Re: Custom painted fairings
Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 02:00:01 PM
Looks fantastic!  Well done and thanks for sharing!   :062:

Offline norcaltwisty

• XR Member
  • Town / City: San Mateo
Reply #11 on: May 10, 2021, 12:03:34 AM
This looks great, nice job! I was just about to order some PD to do something similar on mine (but purple)!

Also meant to ask, did you remove them or paint them in situ?
Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 12:04:31 AM by norcaltwisty

Online Kwiedo

• XR Member
Reply #12 on: May 10, 2021, 08:17:05 AM
Thanks all! Purple would like nice on the white one i think!

I did remove all the fairings, without removing you need to mask all the other parts because it 'sprays' a lot if you know what i mean.

Offline norcaltwisty

• XR Member
  • Town / City: San Mateo
Reply #13 on: May 11, 2021, 01:31:08 AM
Yeah, I'm hoping for a guide how to remove all the XR fairings, it's hard to tell what can be yanked on vs. where the random screws are, feels like I'm starting to take off *everything*, all with different size/length screws, sigh...

I did see this video someone else referenced which was somewhat helpful although I think the fairings on the XR are slightly different than the R overall.

Oh! I just searched again and found this video from last month which has a short section on removing XR fairings (at least the gray 'blade' part)
Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 02:00:46 AM by norcaltwisty

Offline rcb78

• XR Master
Reply #14 on: May 11, 2021, 05:13:47 AM
FWIW, the only 'snap' type connectors that gave me any concern were the two on the pointy end of the colored (red in my case) body panel.  Pointy end being the technical term for front.  There are I think two other buttons per side but they popped off without any hassle.  Getting the panels off is pretty simple, I pulled mine when I wired up my Weisers, dashcam, aux light, etc to keep everything tucked neatly away.  The two that gave me pause were just tight, more than I'd like for a plastic part.  So I gently bent the receiver part to loosen the fit just a hair.  Now they are still secure, but I'm not worried about breaking any tabs off when they are removed.
This video does a very good job of showing the majority of the service that an end user would be comfortable with.  At 13:37 you can see him pop off the fair like I was talking about.  I almost wish there were english subtitles, but I've found that there really isn't anything I didn't understand thanks to the video, part numbers and torque specs provided.  The only thing that was left out was removing the grey fairings, there are 3 fasteners under the beak to finish removing these.  Best to also remove the air deflector on the bottom triple clamp.
Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 05:15:09 AM by rcb78

Online Kwiedo

• XR Member
Reply #15 on: May 11, 2021, 08:37:39 AM
If it is helpful i can make a video on what to unscrew/remove for the different parts?

Offline Kozach75

• XR Newbie
Reply #16 on: May 11, 2021, 09:04:51 AM
Yes! awaiting the plastidip cans today.

Online cw000de

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Nuremberg
Reply #17 on: May 11, 2021, 11:05:53 AM
*Originally Posted by rcb78 [+]
This video does a very good job of showing the majority of the service that an end user would be comfortable with.

thanks for sharing :) True that you understand most of the parts without translation, but nevertheless I turned on the automatic translated subtitles. It's the double worth watching this video, at least with german subtitles  :150:

:763:

Offline rcb78

• XR Master
Reply #18 on: May 11, 2021, 06:01:04 PM
It just goes to show that 'wrenching' is a universal language  :821:

strongminded