Author Topic: F900r drainbolt and oil filter torque?  (Read 291 times)

Offline Teddykam

• XR Newbie
F900r drainbolt and oil filter torque?
on: January 21, 2021, 10:56:20 AM
I would like to know how can i oil change of F900r.
As i know, f850 engines have two drain bolt. And also f900 engines same?
If so, i want to know how can i oil change my self, and each parts(two drain bolts torque, oil filter torque) of torque.
Please tell me :-)

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Re: F900r drainbolt and oil filter torque?
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 03:32:22 PM
Yes, the F900 engine is based on the F850 so it does have two drain bolts.  As for torque I treat oil drain bolts like spark plugs, you just need to crush the washer and that's it.  The actual torque figure is often much higher than needed in these cases and since they aren't a load bearing fastener they just need to be tight enough to seal.
The same is true for the oil filter.  Normally an oil filter can be tightened by hand, in which case you'd go as tight as possible until it slips in your hand.  You must use a tool on these engines due to placement so use your best judgment and don't go overboard.  Make sure to smear some oil on the rubber seal and snug it up.  After going for a ride if it is nice and dry, then you did it right.  If there's any sign of leaking, tighten it another 1/4 turn.
If you've never done an oil change on any vehicle before, then have someone help you out, the principals are the same and they can check your work.  Be sure to follow the user manual for refilling the oil and checking the oil level.  Follow those instructions to prevent under or over filling.

Offline Rinkydink

• XR Pro
Re: F900r drainbolt and oil filter torque?
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 12:44:49 AM
I of course use a torque wrench on wheels, calipers and the like but on oil filters, drains, and spark plugs I use the left handed method. Iím right handed and place my left hand at the center of the ratchet as opposed to at the end of the handle. This takes away my strength/torque and I tighten it as much as possible. It has never failed me. If youíre left handed use your right. YMMV
Watch out for blue haired women in big cars.