Author Topic: Dynamic ESA and Low suspension?  (Read 963 times)

Offline lvf900

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Las Vegas
Dynamic ESA and Low suspension?
on: January 17, 2021, 07:20:39 PM
Does the low suspension model have Dynamic ESA? I've heard it does not.

Offline rcb78

• XR Master
Re: Dynamic ESA and Low suspension?
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 11:14:11 PM
BMW does not offer low suspension with ESA.  I've heard though that Wilbers makes a lowering kit (front and rear) for ESA bikes.  The front is straight forward with lowering springs, the rear is a new shock body assembled with your ESA parts for a lowered ESA shock.

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 10:40:26 AM
Yes. You are spot on with your information as I have done that to my XR. :028:

Offline rcb78

• XR Master
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 04:36:33 PM
How did/do you like the Wilburs unit?  Lowering aside, how does it compare to the stock shock?  I like that for the F-twins it adds compression (manual), but is it really an upgrade over stock or just a replacement?  Opinion?
Since I had cartridges built for my forks I am really happy with how well balanced the bike is now and I'm not sure if it's worth messing with the rear aside from maybe respringing it just a hair stiffer for my weight.  The BMW suspension guru in the area says I should wait for Tractive to release their shock but it'll be nearly $1k more.

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 09:14:22 AM
Hi,. The problem with this is that's it's so very personal. In my case I am happy with the whole Wilbur's set up. Front and rear.
The ride is slightly firmer due to the fact you are now missing 50 mm or 2".of Travel. BUT the ride and comfort is still better than
my BMW 1200 RS ever was!!!  The 900XR now scrapes the pegs earlier BUT about the same as the 1200 RS so to me it's all OK.
I can now Flat foot on this bike which is important to me. The cost was over the top but you only live once. :152: :028: 

Offline rcb78

• XR Master
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 03:33:54 PM
Sounds good though I'm not looking to lower the bike, I would keep it stock ride height.  My reason for thinking about a shock swap is that both the Wilburs and Tractive have compression damping adjustability too and it should be possible for the suspension shop to customize the rebound curve used by the ESA to further refine it.  It's good right now and the new forks made a huge improvement.  I'm just not sure if the gains are worth the cost at this point or if I should wait until the stock shock is starting to show it's age and do it in a few years.