Author Topic: Opinion on Better Ergonomics Options  (Read 657 times)

Offline GrandPa

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Greenville SC, USA
Opinion on Better Ergonomics Options
on: January 15, 2021, 01:57:13 PM
Would like some opinions - I have the F900R.  When I ride, the bike is causing my upper body position to be leaning forward to the point that my upper body weight is pressing into the handlebars.  So my natural instinct is to lock my arms into a straight position.  The is causing the weight to shift to my hands on the handlebar and I get extreme pain in my wrists.   First, the BMW website states: "The F 900 R can be equipped to fit you perfectly. With standard adjustable hand levers, several available seat heights and handlebar positioning, the F 900 R is a true dynamic roadster, just for you."  My question here - has anyone adjusted handlebar position?  I can see I could loosen the bar clamp and rotate the handlebar some, but how much would I gain?  Is that wise and would it make a difference that would help me?  Secondly, I read other threads where people have added bar risers/setbacks.  Are there problems with the cabling length that you have to change any cabling to get lock-to-lock travel of the bar?  I see some "name-brand" risers/setbacks and I see some cheaper ones on eBay.  Are the cheaper ones on eBay okay or should they be avoid?  Lastly, I have the standard seat.  The height of the standard set is okay for me (I am 5'11" US measurement). Would changing the seat help to change my positioning of leaning into the handlebars?

I would like to know what you think is my best option - can the handlebars really be adjusted as the website says and if so, would it help much?  Or should I look at bar risers/setbacks, if so what size is required? Or should I look for different seat options.

Last question - if I loosen the bar clamps, what is the torque for re-tighten?

Thanks!!!

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Re: Opinion on Better Ergonomics Options
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 08:34:06 PM
I added 20mm risers to mine for an unrelated issue and had no problems with cable lengths.  For handlebar position, you can roll the forwards or backwards as much as needed until the hit something at full lock.

Offline slowpoke

• XR Newbie
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 07:58:03 AM
> Last question - if I loosen the bar clamps, what is the torque for re-tighten?

I asked my dealer for when I removed the GPS Prep and installed the non-prep bolts. I was told 30Nm, but please (please) independently verify that with your dealer or service technician, rather than risking stripping the bolts or worse based on advice from the interwebs.

Offline GrandPa

• XR Newbie
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 11:31:08 AM
Good Advice, thanks!

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 04:28:49 PM
The 20mm risers I used were Touratech and they spec'd 15 ft*lbs so that's what I used and the bars are solid.  Most M8 bolts are generally in the 15 ft*lbs to 18 ft*lbs range with 23 ft*lbs (30 N*M)being on the high side and generally only used when screwed into steel.  I would definitely go on the low side since we're talking aluminum here and the fit between the bar and clamp is snug so you're not relying on clamping pressure to hold the bars, there's plenty of surface area to provide the friction needed.

Offline GrandPa

• XR Newbie
Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 11:08:18 PM
 :763:

Recent Topics

strongminded