Author Topic: RPM’s  (Read 429 times)

Online Happyman

• XR Pro
RPM’s
on: January 14, 2021, 05:31:03 PM
Have a bit over 1,000 mikes on my XR and I’m still trying to find that RPM range that feels most comfortable for the engine. I noticed a solid white line on the RPM gauge that starts at 4K and runs up to the limit. So I try to keep the engine at 4K and downshift if it gets below that so as not to “lug” the engine. I’m used to a 4 cylinder sport bike that loves the high rev range but not sure if this engine is built for the 6+ rpm range while cruising.
Any opinions on what this engine is built for?

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Re: RPM’s
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 08:32:56 PM
This engine doesn't need to rev if you're just riding around.  Most of the time I'm in the 3k-4k range when it's just commuting or running errands.  If you scroll down this page a little you'll see a dyno chart for the engine, no issues at all running it down lower.  If you want to keep it in the sweet spot, then keeping it above 4k will maximize the torque, but it's not really needed unless you're out for a spirited ride.

Offline GiaxLV900

• XR Member
Re: RPM’s
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 11:33:04 AM
I agree with RCB78.
As for the sweet spot, BMW's engineers (or maybe the ones in the marketing division…) have designed the "magnifying rpm" to underline in the "Pure Ride" dashboard when You should be in the most joyful range.

strongminded