Author Topic: Oil consumption  (Read 285 times)

Offline Milen Dimitr

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Varna
Oil consumption
on: January 03, 2021, 08:01:41 PM
I checked the oil level today and it's exactly at the Min line. This is 1700km after the first servicing. As far as I remember the oil level was in the middle between the Min and the Max after the servicing. The difference between the two is 0.5 l according to the manual. This means 250 ml on 1700km which is a lot. How are yours doing? Maybe I should start checking for a leak.

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
Re: Oil consumption
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 09:18:57 PM
Make sure you checking when the bike is fully (FULLY) warmed up, on a flat/level surface and has been sitting for about 5 minutes after shutting the engine off.  I know this all seems trivial, but it does affect the level you will see on the dipstick.  You need to constantly check the same way each time.  It has been discussed here already that the dealers seem to only fill the oil to the low level on the dipstick, so are you sure it was in the middle?

Offline Happyman

• XR Pro
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 12:19:54 AM
The manual indicates 3 liters of oil with a filter change. That puts the oil level (fully warm and sitting for 5 mins) at the mid-level between min and max. Filling it to the upper level or adding anymore oil then 3 liters can affect clutch operation and oil in the air box. Oil typically comes in 1 liter bottles so the oil change is very easy.
I recommend (regardless of oil usage, or not) that you keep the oil level mid-way on the dip stick. I spoke with my service manager about this and he could not emphasize enough that this is a motorcycle, not your car.
My two cents on the subject   :821:.

Offline Milen Dimitr

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Varna
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 12:37:50 AM
I will surely be checking frequently to confirm if there is an issue. Otherwise the check procedure I do is as described in the manual. I checked it right after the servicing but you make me self doubt now if it was indeed in the middle.

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 12:59:48 AM
The manual actually says "Approx 3.0l, with filter change".  I've done two oil changes on the bike now, each one took almost exactly 3.25l to hit the middle mark following the instructions exactly as written.  The manual also says that the difference between the low and high marks on the dipstick is 0.5l, so this falls in line directly with everyone's reports of their dealers filling to the lowest level, since that would apparently be 3l, or exactly 3 bottles of oil BMW branded oil (sold per litre).
I buy the BMW branded oil from my dealer because it's the same price as anything else I would use.  The first oil change, they sold me 4x 1l bottles.  The next time they asked if I needed 3 or 4, so I think they know that it takes just a hair more.