Author Topic: Phone holder for navigation cradle  (Read 413 times)

Offline Piks

• XR Newbie
Phone holder for navigation cradle
on: January 03, 2021, 05:23:06 PM
I've received and installed phone holder for the original Navigation BMW cradle - I did not find such a topic, so thought might be useful for someone (my apologies if already covered). I have ordered through Amazon - plenty of variations if you searched, all of them seem to be same shape and designed, perhaps made in the same no name factory. I have chosen the one with most reviews, ca. 35 Eur, additionally I have ordered short braided USB-Lightning cable, as original in the set is a bit longer plus goes through microUSB adapter.

Positives:
+ Well, it holds my phone (iPhone)... Seems sturdy and grip is strong, but I am not sure how would it keep during stress or crash (I hope not to test it, though)
+ Since it gets the power from navigation cradle, it charges the phone when the ignition is on - no need for additional switches or so
+ From the pictures, somehow I thought that "fixing bracket" at the bottom is plastic, apparently it is metal with rubber.

Negatives:
- It just about fits my iPhone 8 Plus with not so thick case. The "fixing bracket" does not have much more of the move, which makes putting the phone in and out is pretty tricky, and I hope it will not break one day because of that tension.
- Rubber USB socket plugs are relatively loose and easily removable. Not that they will fall off, but I would expect more.
- (not holders fault) apparently, since iOS 14 introduction, iPhone 8 Plus stopped supporting landscape mode for native home screen, lock screen and many apps. I.e. if someone send a message/WhatsApp, you need to rotate your head to read it (it is easier if you stop and turn handlebars, but still a hassle)
- (not holders fault) Related to above, BMW Connected app does not support landscape mode. It may be in Navigation (I have not tried), but not in home screen, settings, etc. Google Maps on the other hand, does support landscape mode.
- (not holder fault) As already mentioned in many other posts, navigation location in F900/XR is really bad - maybe it is also my height/helmet/bad seating position/etc., but you really need to take your eyes and look off the road, if you want to look for something.

So all in all, for 35 Eur, it is OK'eish, but I am still thinking is it worth investing additionally in navigation cradle relocation above LCD screen, as it will still not fix landscape mode problems. Or maybe just buy RAM Mount with wireless charging and somehow connect to navigation power socket.

Some pics attached as well (I hope it will work).

Offline GiaxLV900

• XR Member
Re: Phone holder for navigation cradle
Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 08:33:52 AM
Sweet! Nice trick.

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 03:33:57 PM
I had one for a bit but was never happy with how bulky it was.  Ended up removing the whole nav base and mounting a Quad Lock holder on the bar that the cradle clamps onto and then using the same power supply for a Quad Lock charger that integrates into the mount.  The mirror mount option has the correct size clamp for the base bar.

Offline HullXR

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Hull
Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 02:55:01 PM
I have used the SP Connect for mounting the phone on the handlebar. The quality is excellent and fits really secure. I also invested in the wireless charging module which feeds straight from the battery. So once mounted the phone is always charging. With the handlebar mount it sits nicely to the centre. But could fit to an accessory bar above the tft with the mirror mount which is actually cheaper.

One word of advice, if you buy this mount or Any like this. If an anti vibration module is available buy it. Initially didn’t and that turned into a very expensive mistake. Went out once and toasted the auto focus on the phone. Which I ended up replacing. Now have the module and all is good.

Offline Piks

• XR Newbie
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 07:52:44 PM
Thanks for advice - really appreciated! I was actually looking into SP Connect and Quad Lock, but did not like the fact that I need to change phone case for that. But definitely looks secure and convenient as well.

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 04:05:52 AM
If you use a mirror mount on the original Nav base bar, it will retain the anti-vibration feature built into the mount.

Offline GiaxLV900

• XR Member
Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 06:43:16 AM
*Originally Posted by HullXR [+]
I have used the SP Connect for mounting the phone on the handlebar.
That’s my actual solution (w/ anti vibration insert, since I broke, twice, the iPhone’s lenses-module on my “hi vibes” 690SMCR).

Offline HullXR

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Hull
Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 09:43:20 AM
*Originally Posted by GiaxLV900 [+]
That’s my actual solution (w/ anti vibration insert, since I broke, twice, the iPhone’s lenses-module on my “hi vibes” 690SMCR).

Are you saying your iPhone broke twice with the anti vibe module in place ? 

Offline GiaxLV900

• XR Member
Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 12:06:26 PM
Nope, I'm saying my iPhone X broke twice BEFORE SpConnect marketed (and therefore before buying and mounting) the anti vibe module.

Now I have the anti vibe module on the F900XR even if I guess that my iPhone12Pro's lens-module wouldn't be affected as the iPhoneX's on my 690 SMCR - but I'm not too confident to place a bet, so…