Author Topic: Air Filter @6k miles  (Read 563 times)

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Air Filter @6k miles
on: December 19, 2020, 08:52:46 PM
Anyone check their air filter element yet to see how dirty it's gotten?  This is mine at 6k miles.  I commuted daily for through the Cali fires this summer with ash falling for about a month straight. I probably shouldn't have waited so long, there was sediment in the pleats.  Back side of the filter and inside the airbox looked nice and clean though so it did it's job.  Fresh oil, new air filter and fresh brake fluid, we're lucky that we get to ride through the winter here  :152:

Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 08:53:32 PM by rcb78

Offline RedHedRacer

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Vancouver, BC
Re: Air Filter @6k miles
Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 03:27:02 AM
Thanks for sharing. Although Iím in Vancouver, Canada and bike parked for a few months over winter, glad I missed your fires! Hope your lungs are ok. Anyone know if K&N makes a kit for our bike?
Enjoy the holiday season, hope youíre able to ride thru the lockdown.  :131:

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 04:32:03 AM
It's the same filter used by the 750gs and 850gs so I'm sure they do. That said, I would never use a guaze filter on anything other than a race engine that gets rebuilt on a regular basis.  They do not filter as well as stock paper elements, not even close.  They do flow better (marginally) if you're planning to do exhaust and dyno tuning, but it's at the expense of your cylinder walls.

Offline Billy.ana

• XR Newbie
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 09:54:08 AM
*Originally Posted by RedHedRacer [+]
Thanks for sharing. Although I’m in Vancouver, Canada and bike parked for a few months over winter, glad I missed your fires! Hope your lungs are ok. Anyone know if K&N makes a kit for our bike?
Enjoy the holiday season, hope you’re able to ride thru the lockdown.  :131:
Hi,
I have already installed an aftermarket filter from dna. It's a Greek company same as K&N.
https://www.dnafilters.com/product/Motorcycle-Filters/Bmw/DNA-1584/BMW-F900/BMW-F-900-Series-(2020)-DNA-Air-Filter-P-BM8E20-01

From the first time I start the bike with the new filter I saw some difference.
First of all the cold start is smoother and you feeling the bike engine breath much better.
Second, I notice that the coupling with 1st gear is stop! Finally, from the mid range of rpms and high you has much better response and a little bit more power. If you using the dynamic pro mode you will see the difference! Furthermore, you save consumption.

I believe that if you change the exhaust you will see much difference!
Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 09:58:02 AM by Billy.ana

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 05:10:33 PM
While I can appreciate the performance difference a gauze type filter makes, they absolutely do not filter as well a paper media, not even close.  I've had enough top ends torn down to see the direct result of 'performance' air filters and how they prematurely wear the cylinder walls and piston skirts.  This observation has been backed up by pretty much every third party test of air filters I've come across.  The only way to increase flow without affecting filtration is to increase media surface area, that means a larger filter with more pleats (more or less).

Recent Topics

strongminded