Author Topic: Recommended Chain Lube  (Read 1488 times)

Offline EDventure

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Westerville, OH
Recommended Chain Lube
on: November 21, 2020, 09:07:52 PM
Is there any clear winners for chain lube that folks recommend? I value this groups response even it's your personal opinion.

Thank you,

EDventure

Offline good_Z

• XR Newbie
Re: Recommended Chain Lube
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 02:16:59 AM
It's a personal choice, I have been using Du Pont Chain-Saver Wax-based Chain Lube with Teflon

Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 02:20:33 AM by good_Z

Offline HullXR

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Hull
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 06:00:53 PM
I use an all weather lube. Living in the UK you never know what weather your going to get. This one work fine for me

Offline forties

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Beverley
Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 01:29:16 PM
Just use gear oil. If you don't believe me -

Offline HullXR

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Hull
Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 07:12:04 PM
Very interesting that, think I will be converting to gear oil and a small brush.

Offline kenb

• XR Newbie
Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 01:34:24 PM
I've been wiping oil on my chains for the last 30 years, tried all sorts, the cleanest and with reasonable amounts of fling I've tried is Scott oil, the thicker summer version (red colour), I always get good mileage out of my chains, typically 25000 miles.

Offline F9XRay

• XR Member
Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 03:27:07 PM
For everyone living in Europe, I have great results using Motul C4 chain lube.

~Don't surprise the front brake~

Offline Milen Dimitr

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Varna
Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 11:47:52 PM
I've been using the Motul and it's good. It's sticks well and doesn't flick off a lot. Also the can and nozzle make a good fine spray, so it covers well. The downside is that it finishes too fast. Maybe the pressure is higher or the lube is thinned quite a lot. I've also used Motorex, which makes a bigger mess, but is more like a lube not so much like a glue compared to the Motul.
Unfortunately the factory chain is not very rust proof. There's a lot of surface rust already. Yes I've been riding in the rain but neither the DID nor the RK i had on my older bike had these issues. Only a bit of rust at the end of their lifecycle.

Offline F9XRay

• XR Member
Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 03:12:48 PM
*Originally Posted by Milen Dimitr [+]
I've been using the Motul and it's good. It's sticks well and doesn't flick off a lot. Also the can and nozzle make a good fine spray, so it covers well. The downside is that it finishes too fast. Maybe the pressure is higher or the lube is thinned quite a lot. I've also used Motorex, which makes a bigger mess, but is more like a lube not so much like a glue compared to the Motul.
Unfortunately the factory chain is not very rust proof. There's a lot of surface rust already. Yes I've been riding in the rain but neither the DID nor the RK i had on my older bike had these issues. Only a bit of rust at the end of their lifecycle.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I also use a more specific brand that is only available in Germany. Mentioning the lack of liability and driving often in rain, there is also a chain-paste from Motul. You can also take it under your seat and it holds really great.
~Don't surprise the front brake~