Author Topic: GPS Navigation  (Read 729 times)

Offline good_Z

• XR Newbie
GPS Navigation
on: November 19, 2020, 12:41:20 AM
I'm shopping for the GPS Navigation, BMW Motorrad 6 is close to $1K, while older model 5 is about 30% less.
Are they both compatible in fitting the standard cradle which came with the bike?
Can anyone suggest any other models which can be used? Thanks in advance.

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
Re: GPS Navigation
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 02:24:32 AM
Except for wonder wheel integration, I really can't think of a reason not to use your phone.  Paired with a good headset and you have voice commands which easily makes up for the lack of the wonder wheel.  If you really want wonder wheel integration then take a look at the Wunderlinq.  It snaps into the cradle and then BT's to your phone, though it does have an AMP mounting profile to adapt a phone mount with.  Pretty much all the functionality of the Nav and TFT rolled into an app that integrates direction with the bike controls.  Kind of redundant on TFT bikes, but pretty cool for the older analog models.

Offline gogs01

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Dundee
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 09:31:08 AM
I ran a succession of R1200RTs over the last 12 years and had a Navigator 4 which I eventually replaced with a Navigator 5.  They both worked well by the standards of their day and were nicely integrated with the bikes (although not lockable !  :023:).

The Nav 6 is, no doubt, a very nice piece of kit and some improvement on the earlier iterations, but I've given BMW enough of my hard-earned.  I kept my Nav 5 when I traded the RT for the 900XR and it works well still.  It now locks to the bike too, so I can leave it on the bike while I take a break.  I keep my phone inside my jacket while I'm riding. I don't like the idea of having it on the handlebar - and I can answer phone calls while riding via the Nav 5.

If my Nav became U/S I would look for a good used Nav 5 or 6.  For now, I can't see me ever replacing my dedicated satnav with a phone app - I use google maps when I'm on foot and needing directions (with the Nav 5 still locked on the bike !   :002:)

Offline good_Z

• XR Newbie
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 07:14:35 PM
Thank you all for the valuable advise. I am still thinking on biting a bullet and getting a Nav 5 or 6. Some areas which I travel may not have good phone reception, and that's a big deal for me.
However, I'm a bit confused and I hope that someone can shed some light on this pre-installed cradle, i.e. is it ready for a simple snap-in installation on BMW Motorrad Nav 5 or 6?
I see that the most Nav units are being sold with a cradle, which also has 4 buttons on the left side and USB on the right.
Is this optional replacement or an add on? Thanks in advance

Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 07:15:57 PM by good_Z

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 12:20:25 AM
Phone reception for mapping is not any issue with any modern setup.  The BMW app downloads the maps for the regions you specific and even Google Maps lets you download areas you select for when you are out of service, it's called Offline Maps in the menu.  With the maps actually loaded on your phone the setup is no different than a Nav, it uses GPS to plot your position on a local storage map.

Offline good_Z

• XR Newbie
Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 01:19:45 AM
rcb78, makes sense, doesn't it?  :002: I'll try the phone mount option $30-40 first. I can always spend that 1K on Navi or something more useful.

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 01:26:12 AM
Back to your question, the cradle in your picture with the buttons on the side is for the older Nav units that didn't work with the Wonder Wheel.  The current Nav cradles have no buttons.  The mount and electrical connection is unchanged, it's a Garmin mount (Garmin makes the BMW unit).

I went Quadlock with charging base for around $100 all said and done with new phone case.  It's mounted to the rubber isolated Nav base mount (metal bar) and gets power from the Nav power socket.  The money I saved by not doing a Nav unit has been spent many times over on other stuff for the bike.  I really don't mind spending that much money, it just needs to be for a good reason.

Offline HullXR

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Hull
Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 02:01:55 PM
I have the same set up as Rcb, but mine is a SP connect mount off the handle bar. This has a wireless charger powered from the battery. Just one word of Caution, if you go for this set up pay the extra and buy the anti vibration module. I didnít and on my IPhone XS Max its wiped out my auto focus as itís mechanical. I ordered a module now but a little late. Looking like an expensive mistake.

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 05:14:38 PM
My phone doesn't have vibration issues, but mounting to the existing Nav base unit provides excellent vibration protection.  Once you remove the Nav cradle, you're left with a mounting bar that is a perfect fit for the Quadlock mirror mount and the whole thing will be vibration free thanks to the rubber grommets at the base.  Those wanting to mount a Quadlock somewhere else should use their new vibration isolating mount. 

strongminded