Author Topic: issue with lights?  (Read 1174 times)

Offline good_Z

• XR Newbie
issue with lights?
on: November 14, 2020, 12:35:10 AM
Just a week ago, I brought home my new F900xr. This morning I had noticed that the lights work only on one side.  The low beam setting only has one light working on the (throttle) side.
However, I can get both sides to work, but only on a high beam setting.
I checked the manual and electronic settings, but there was no information on this.
I used to ride GS models, with asymmetrical headlights, but I hate to think that same applies to the symmetrical F900xr design   :155:

Is this normal?

Online HullXR

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Hull
Re: issue with lights?
Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 12:57:57 AM
No this isnít normal, both headlights should be lite. Well mines a UK bike and both work on mine on low and high beam.

Might be worth getting it checked out. I do notice I my headlights some condensation. Has anyone seen got this issue

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 02:28:57 AM
The right side is the low beam and the left side is the high beam.  What i think Hull is talking about are the daytime running lights that are the little strip lights on both sides, but this is only if your bike came with the Headlight Pro option that includes cornering lights.
It's different in the UK and pretty much everything else in the world where those DRLs count for daytime use.  Here we have to have a low beam on at all times and the DRLs don't count for that.
So if your bike is a base model without the Headlight Pro option, then this is normal.
Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 02:30:55 AM by rcb78

Online Shadey

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Middlesbrough
Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 12:03:33 PM
Hi all, so here in uk  4 main lamps 2 top and 2 bottom also 2 small LED's attached to top 2. Ignition on : 2 small leds lit, start engine : 2 top lamps on, select high beam : all 4 lamps on ( this is standard spec on my bike i.e. no upgrade to system). I can only guess that different terratorial laws dictate differing set up  :187:

Offline good_Z

• XR Newbie
Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 04:01:20 PM
Thank you all. To be continued...I will reach out to the dealer to confirm or deny :)

Online gogs01

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Dundee
Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 03:38:27 PM
*Originally Posted by good_Z [+]
Thank you all. To be continued...I will reach out to the dealer to confirm or deny :)

We're waiting with bated breath !   :016:

My bike's lights all come on in pairs, nothing asymmetrical here (UK). 

I suspect you have a fault, but I look forward to seeing what your dealer says .....

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 05:42:41 PM
*Originally Posted by gogs01 [+]
We're waiting with bated breath !   :016:

My bike's lights all come on in pairs, nothing asymmetrical here (UK). 

I suspect you have a fault, but I look forward to seeing what your dealer says .....

You mean that both the right and left side come on together regardless of high beam vs low beam?  Not counting the daytime running lights (the light bars at the bottom) the right lens is low beam and the left lens is high beam.  The only way both will be on at the same time is if you have your high beam on.  When they are off, only the right side will be on.
Again though, with the Headlight Pro option the DRLs will be symmetric and both left and right will light up.  The use of DRLs varies from country to country though, so how and when the operate will vary based on location.

Offline good_Z

• XR Newbie
Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 07:14:02 PM
I checked with the dealer and even received similar photos of "one-eyed" F900XRs.
It appears to be US standard - rcb78 was right on the spot.

Online HullXR

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Hull
Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 07:59:29 PM
Bikes always look a little odd with one light out. Pleased we get both used in the UK.

Well Mystery solved anyway.

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 11:46:23 PM
Ok, now I'm really curious.  If you have both on at the same time, the what is the distinction between hi and low beam?  Which fixtures are which?  The way the lights are aimed with what appears to be a US specific version, is that the whole left assembly or right assembly can be raised or lowered and the beam patterns are distinctly different left to right.  Any with a 'symmetric' style headlight care to show photos of a vid of their headlight with tags for what is what and you cycle through the lights?