Author Topic: Extra power socket  (Read 610 times)

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
Re: Extra power socket
Reply #10 on: November 20, 2020, 05:47:04 PM
Cool, thanks.  I may have a use for that...

Offline Royinspain

• XR Member
Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 11:50:24 AM
Does anyone have photos of exactly where is the bmw accesory connector which is apparently up near right side of instruments/handlebar area. btw, I don't have bmw satnav preinstalation but am looking to add usb outlets.

Offline Royinspain

• XR Member
Reply #12 on: November 21, 2020, 11:53:43 AM
*Originally Posted by rcb78 [+]
I hooked up a USB quadlock charging base to the factory Nav power supply behind the headlight (right side).  Super easy to do and a very clean install.  That connection is good for 10w and can be hooked up to whatever kind of connector you want.
Do you have photos of excactly where the bmw accesory socket behind right side light is? I can't see mine anywhere and donm't even know what I'm looking for.. :001:. Maybe it's 'cause I didn't go with the bmw satnav preinstalation because I have a Garmin... Big thanks

Offline Esonwood

• XR Newbie
Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 02:44:21 PM

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #14 on: November 21, 2020, 03:00:47 PM
I will get a picture taken later today.  It's a little above the wind deflector at the lower triple clamp on back side of the right headlight assembly.  If you didn't have Nav prep it'll have a cap on the connector, but it's still there.
Speaking of connectors?  There is another on the left side under the body panels above the radiator ducting.  Anyone know if it's for the factory Aux lights?   I haven't bothered to probe it yet to see if it's another viable switched power source. 

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #15 on: November 22, 2020, 01:53:22 AM
Here you go, you really just need to stick a flashlight in there and look for it, it's the only plug connector in that area.  The wires I've circled are for the connector powering my quadlock charger, so it's the other half of that.

Offline Royinspain

• XR Member
Reply #16 on: November 22, 2020, 12:41:47 PM
Here you go, you really just need to stick a flashlight in there and look for it, it's the only plug connector in that area.  The wires I've circled are for the connector powering my quadlock charger, so it's the other half of that.

Yep, thanks, now I've found it. Mine is clearly in use and has something plugged in there so not an option to use it in the end it seems...  I don't have satnav pre installed so not sure what it could be.

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #17 on: November 22, 2020, 03:46:59 PM
Look closer, if you don't have the Nav prep then it should have a cap plugged in to protect the terminals.

Offline Royinspain

• XR Member
Reply #18 on: November 22, 2020, 04:12:23 PM
Look closer, if you don't have the Nav prep then it should have a cap plugged in to protect the terminals.
This is what I see... Will keep looking... Maybe it's the optional daylight running LEDs or optional cornering lights both of which I have ...

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #19 on: November 22, 2020, 07:49:16 PM
It's got nothing to do with the lights, that is all built in to the headlight unit (I've got the same).  Take off the lower deflector so you can get a better look, seriously, it's only 3 screws.  The plug is not fixed, it's just a wire connector,,, with wires.  You may very well be looking at the plug itself.