Author Topic: Hello from Pacific Northwest, USA (Seattle)  (Read 299 times)

Online motohaze

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Seattle
Hello from Pacific Northwest, USA (Seattle)
on: November 09, 2020, 05:59:08 PM
Hello! Just got the chance to find this amazing forum.

I live in the greater Seattle area. Got my white 2020 F900XR back in September. This is my first BMW bike. I'm still relatively new to motorcycling in general (licensed for a little over a year at the age of 31) but so far I'm really liking it! It's just a challenge to find time to ride with family duties :-)

My bike came with ABS Pro and DTC. Just installed the heated grip, cruise control, shift assist pro and center stand from the dealer. There is a deal going on for retrofitting, but even after about 40% discount, parts + labor + sales tax still seem to be a little expensive than the factory option.

Offline sparky12353

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Wrexham
Re: Hello from Pacific Northwest, USA (Seattle)
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 08:42:32 AM
Hi and Welcome to the group (I'm from the UK)

just a quick note you were saying about retrofitting, I asked my UK dealer about ride pro to retrofitted but said it can't be done? such a shame  but yes dealers charge what they want !!

Offline Shadey

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Middlesbrough
Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 11:04:27 AM
Welcome to the world of BMW $$$  :008:

Online HullXR

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Hull
Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 05:05:35 PM
*Originally Posted by sparky12353 [+]

just a quick note you were saying about retrofitting, I asked my UK dealer about ride pro to retrofitted but said it can't be done? such a shame  but yes dealers charge what they want !!

Hi Sparky

When you say ride pro you mean all the extras you get on the tft and upgraded abs stuff. I was quoted by my local dealer 600.00 if I needed the tilt sensor. 450.00 for the updates and red plug. Did consider it but a lot of cash for not a lot.

Online motohaze

• XR Newbie
Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 06:56:21 PM
Hi Sparky

Ride pro seems like a standalone feature that you can just unlock? To me there is some difference between Road and Dynamic, mostly on throttle response, and I enjoy Dynamic & Dynamic Pro a bit more but it's not like night and day.

And Ride pro and all the ABS stuff are not part of the retrofitting deal, unfortunately...

I can say that heated grip is a must have for sure in the gloomy days here at Seattle :-)

*Originally Posted by sparky12353 [+]

Offline sparky12353

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Wrexham
Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 08:35:50 AM
*Originally Posted by motohaze [+]
Hi Sparky

Ride pro seems like a standalone feature that you can just unlock? To me there is some difference between Road and Dynamic, mostly on throttle response, and I enjoy Dynamic & Dynamic Pro a bit more but it's not like night and day.

And Ride pro and all the ABS stuff are not part of the retrofitting deal, unfortunately...

I can say that heated grip is a must have for sure in the gloomy days here at Seattle :-)
lucky for me the dealer had the heated grips fitted, as  the UK its not just cold in winter it's only hot in June and July, 36c

Offline RedHedRacer

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Vancouver, BC
Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 08:02:31 PM
Welcome to the club. I'm in Vancouver, BC, just north of you. When the border opens next year, will need to go for a ride! The Cascades in northern WA are a fun trip. Good choice for newer rider, if you're into upright riding style, but with sport edge. I'm an older rider, my 2nd bike, previous was 2000 Honda VFR 800, sport touring - the XR is a good transition to more usable / comfortable, and with all the tech one could want.
My XR has full load, Dynamic Ride Pro allows extra functions in throttle, braking + ability to reduce/remove 'nanny controls', as noted by others. Is spendy option, but adds to fun factor. Welcome to BMW land, you bought premium engineering, parts, functionality + 'riding experience', you will appreciate it with time!
Ivan

Online motohaze

• XR Newbie
Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 08:07:33 AM
*Originally Posted by RedHedRacer [+]
Welcome to the club. I'm in Vancouver, BC, just north of you. When the border opens next year, will need to go for a ride! The Cascades in northern WA are a fun trip. Good choice for newer rider, if you're into upright riding style, but with sport edge. I'm an older rider, my 2nd bike, previous was 2000 Honda VFR 800, sport touring - the XR is a good transition to more usable / comfortable, and with all the tech one could want.
My XR has full load, Dynamic Ride Pro allows extra functions in throttle, braking + ability to reduce/remove 'nanny controls', as noted by others. Is spendy option, but adds to fun factor. Welcome to BMW land, you bought premium engineering, parts, functionality + 'riding experience', you will appreciate it with time!
Ivan

Thank you Ivan! Glad to meet meet other riders in PNW. When this pandemic is over (I'm still hopeful!) and the weather become a bit nicer, I'd definitely check out the North Cascades! I've never done such trip so I'm really looking forward to it. I've been to Vancouver for a few times before (the food is amazing) and when the border opens, perhaps I should also try riding in Canada!

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 11:00:21 PM
Welcome  Motohaze. Enjoy your new ride. :400: